Chapter 15 : Dizzy

Chapter 15

Later...   

Riker POV

Ross had gotten a pillow for me so I could lay down with my head in his lap. He was still holding the towel on my head. And I still felt sick to my stomach and really dizzy.

"Are you still awake?" Ross asked.

"Yes," I mumbled.

"Good."

"Why are you keeping me up? I'm tired."

"Because you aren't supposed to sleep if you have a concussion."

"How do you know if I have one or not?"

"Remember when I got hit in the head with a ball at recess last year? And mom took my to the doctor because I kept throwing up and feeling sick? That was a mild concussion. And you're acting like I was when I had one."

"I just want to sleep."

"Well you can't. Why isn't Mark back yet?"

"I don't know. Is my head still bleeding?"

Ross moved the towel.

"No, I don't think so."

I heard the front door open. Finally.

"Ross? Riker?" Mark called.

"We're upstairs!" Ross yelled.

"Not so loud. My head hurts," I said.

I listened to Mark's footsteps coming up the stairs.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Riker hit his head again," Ross said.

"And threw up? Why didn't you call me?"

"He told me not to," Ross said.

"Help him sit up. Let me look at his head."

Ross helped me up. I still felt incredibly dizzy though. Mark was super gentle when he was looking at the back of my head.

"Ok. I want both of you downstairs. I want Riker on the couch with an ice pack on his head. And I want Ross on the couch too with an ice pack on his face."

"My face?"

"From where dad hit you last night," I said.

Ross touched his cheek.

"It's bruised," I said.

"I didn't even notice."

Ross got up and went downstairs. Mark helped me stand and kept his hands on me as we walked downstairs because I was very unsteady. I sat down on the couch next to Ross. Mark gave us both ice packs and then went to the kitchen to unpack the groceries.

"I'm sorry I made you fall," Ross said, quietly.

"You didn't make me. I tripped over my suitcase."

"I just feel like everything lately is my fault."

"It's not. Stop saying that."

Ross just stared at me.

"Stop," I said.

"Are you still dizzy?"

"Yes. And I have a headache."

"Do you want me to ask Mark for some medicine?"

"Yeah. Thanks."

Ross got up and left. I sighed. I realized I didn't have my anxiety medicine here. It was back at home, probably in mom and dad's room.

Ross brought me back some Tylenol and water. I took it. I really thought I would be feeling better by now, but the room still felt like it was spinning.

I took my glasses off and put them on the table in front of the couch. And I closed my eyes.

"You're not supposed to sleep," Ross said.

"I'm not sleeping. I'm trying to feel less dizzy. It's making me feel sick to my stomach again."

I could hear Ross texting with someone. I was kind of jealous that he had friends at school. He has at least 4 friends that I know of, and I just have Ross and Mark. And it's kind of lonely.

"Mark, can I sleepover my friend's house tonight?" Ross yelled.

I covered my ears.

"Stop shouting," I whined.

Mark came in.

"You're sure you feel ok sleeping over?" He asked.

"I'm sure."

"Then yes, you can sleepover. When do you need me to drive you?"

"Um... Now?"

"Give me 5 minutes to finish putting the groceries away, and we'll go, ok?"

"Thanks!"

Mark went back into the kitchen.

"You were being all clingy to me today. You wouldn't even let me take a shower alone. And now you feel fine to just go sleepover one of your friend's houses?" I asked.

"When I'm here, all I can think about is dad and what he's done to us. When I'm with my friends, I can forget about all of that for a while."

"Why can't you forget about that stuff here?"

"Because I see you being hurt and anxious. And I see the way Mark looks at us. It's like he can't even believe what we've been through and feels horrible for us. I just need a break from it. It's making me too anxious, thinking about it all the time."

"Fine."

"Are you mad?"

"No."

"Then why do you seem like it?"

"I'm not. Have fun at your sleepover."

"Ok. Whatever."

He got up and went upstairs to get his suitcase. And then he and Mark left.