Chapter 10 : Back home

Chapter 10

The next day...   

Riker POV

I was shaken awake by Mark. I was barely awake, but I knew something was wrong.

He sat down on my bed.

"Riker, the foster center called. They're coming to pick you and Ross up tonight."

"Why?"

"The court ruled in favor of your parents."

"No! Why would they do that!? I can't go back!"

"Stop. Breathe. Don't panic about this. Just stay calm."

"H-how... I-I c-can't..."

"Riker, listen to me. Where's your cell phone?"

I pointed to it on my nightstand. Mark picked it up. I was trying to hold in my tears and just breathe like Mark said. But it was so hard.

"I put my number in your phone, ok? If anything happens, you can tell me or you can call the police."

"But what if he takes my phone away?"

"Keep your phone on silent and keep it hidden. Don't let him know you have it so that you'll have it if something goes wrong."

"Do you think he's going to hurt us again?"

"I have no idea, Riker. I don't know your father."

"When are they picking us up?"

"Sometime after Ross gets home from school. Come here."

I hugged him tight.

"What if he hurts me again? I haven't even healed from my old foster parents."

"I know you're scared of him hurting you again. But if he does anything, you'll get thrown into the foster system again. And I'm sure he knows that. So he'll hopefully be on his best behavior so that it won't happen."

"Do you really think he just might not ever hit us again?"

"I don't know. But if he hurts you, it'll probably be a lot harder from him to get custody of you guys again."

"Yeah... I just wish he was a normal dad."

I sighed. I'm still really tired.

"Let's go downstairs and have breakfast. You should probably pack up your things after."

"I don't want to. I don't want to leave."

"I know. But you're going to have to. You did a good job staying calm though."

"Let's just go eat breakfast..."

Later...

Riker POV

When I heard a knock on the door, my heart started racing. It's the foster center person. Mark had to sign some paperwork. And then the foster lady came over to us.

"Are you boys all packed up and ready to go?"

"Yes," Ross said, sounding upset.

"Ok, then let's go."

Ross got up and hugged Mark goodbye. I got up too. But when I hugged Mark, I started crying.

"I don't want to leave!"

"Riker, you're going to be ok," Mark said, holding me tight.

"No, I'm not! He's going to hurt me! Please don't make me go!"