Chapter 23 : Too many questions

Chapter 23

Riker POV    

"Please! I promise I won't tell anyone! Just please pull over so we don't crash!" I said.

Dad ignored me. He was taking a lot of back roads, so at least there aren't going to be a lot of cars. I was wondering if he was taking back roads on purpose, like to avoid the highway, which is probably where the police would look for him first.

The police are looking for me, right? They've got to be. Ross would've called them or at least told Mark, right?

I was scared we'd crash into something else besides a car. Like a tree or a telephone pole. I'm just really scared of dying.

Maybe he's not as drunk as I thought. Maybe he just had like 1 drink, and that's all.

Where is he taking me?

Ross POV

Everyone was asking me too many questions that I didn't know the answers to and I was just getting really frustrated.

"Where's your mom?"

"I don't know."

"What kind of car does your dad drive?"

"I don't know. It's like... black...?"

"What's his license plate?"

"I don't know."

"Do you know where he might be taking your brother?"

"No."

"Was he drunk?"

"I'm not sure."

"Did your mother know he was going to do this?"

"I don't know! I don't know any of this! I only know what I told you already! I don't know anything else!" I cried.

"Ok, let's take a break," Mark said.

I turned and cried into his chest again.

"I don't know anything! How are they going to find Riker!?"

"Ross, you're doing really good. You've already told them a ton of helpful information. They already have police out there looking for them, ok? And they're checking the local bars for your mom and when they find her, they'll question her. And she can probably answer some of the questions you can't, like what kind of car your dad drives and his license plate."

"What if they get in a crash? What if he's drunk and it's bad?"

"Ross, we don't know what's going on. So we can't think of the worst outcomes, ok?"

I sighed and started calming down. I'm absolutely terrified, but I need to stop panicking because it's not helping anything.

Some foster center people showed up. I really didn't feel like talking to them too.

"Mark, can you come in the kitchen and fill out some paperwork?" One of the foster center people asked.

"If you want me to fill it out, you need to bring it over here because I'm not leaving Ross right now."

I smiled a little. I can't imagine going through this alone. I'm so thankful I have Mark.

The foster center people seemed annoyed but Mark didn't care.

"Ross, can we ask you a few more things?" One of the police officers asked.

I nodded.

"Has your father ever done anything like this before? Like taking you guys somewhere when he was mad?"

"No. Never."

"Do you think he would hurt Riker?"

"Yes."

"Ok. That's all for now. If we have any other questions, we'll call. And we'll keep you updated on what we know about Riker."

One of the police officers was telling someone from the foster center what happened so I didn't have to repeat the whole story.

I waited probably an hour for Mark to finish the paperwork, and then all the foster center people left.

Mark looked at me.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"What about Riker?" I asked, starting to cry again.

"They'll call us if they have any news, ok? Let's go get your suitcase."

We went upstairs. I wanted to take Riker's suitcase too. And then we got in Mark's car and he drove us back to his house.

"Can we sleep down here?" I asked, close to tears again.

"Yes, of course, Ross."

I got changed into my pjs and then put on one of Riker's hoodies. I thought it might make me feel better, but it didn't really. I was too scared for him. I've always been scared of him getting hurt, but I've never been scared for his life before.

I wanted to sleep on the floor, so Mark helped me make a bed of blankets next to the couch, where he would be sleeping.

"If they call in the middle of the night, will you wake me up and tell me what they say?" I asked.

"Yes, I will."

"Ok... Do you think my dad is going to try to kidnap me too?"

"I don't think so. I think he knows he'd almost definitely be caught if he tried to get you too. There's a police officer parked on this road, just to keep an eye on the house and make sure your dad doesn't show up. You're safe, ok?"

"Ok... Do you still think after all of this, the police will still let him try to get custody of us again?"

"I don't know, but I definitely think it's a way smaller chance now that he's kidnapped Riker. The one thing I can think of that might happen though is your mom getting custody, but it would have to be under certain terms to try to protect you from your father."

"Ok..."

"Try to get some sleep, Ross. I know it's going to be hard, but you need to rest."

"I'll try..."

I laid down. Mark put something on tv and I closed my eyes. But I don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight.