Chapter 22 : Kidnapped

Chapter 22

A few days later...   

Riker POV

It was getting closer and closer to my birthday and dad still hadn't done anything. I was beginning to get really upset because I thought maybe I wouldn't have to spend my birthday here. But it's tomorrow, and I doubt he'll do anything by then.

And we were about to go back to school again. Ross was happy about it, but of course I'm not.

Ross and I were hanging out in the living room, watching tv. We'd done all our chores today, so we were just wasting time until we had to go to bed.

"So... Is there anything you want to do for your birthday?" Ross asked.

I sighed.

"What would we even be able to do anyway?" I asked.

"Well usually mom makes a cake and gives us a present."

I felt my eyes filling with tears.

"Riker," Ross said, looking at me, concerned.

"I just hoped maybe we'd be out of here by now so I wouldn't have to spend my birthday here," I said, trying not to cry.

I laid my head on Ross's shoulder and just tried to take deep breaths to stay calm.

"Is there anything I can do?" Ross asked.

"I just want to go to bed."

"Ok."

We went upstairs. I just felt really depressed.

I got into bed and shut my eyes. I finally felt some tears go down my cheeks. Happy birthday to me, I guess.

Later...

Riker POV

I heard a loud crash and jumped. I'd been asleep for hours, so I was very disoriented. But dad had crashed through our door and apparently was here for me.

"You ungrateful little brat. You should be grateful for the birthday presents you've gotten. And for the cakes that your mother has made you."

He heard me from earlier.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me out of bed. He started dragging me down the hall and downstairs. I was just trying to stay on my feet and not trip or fall.

I saw Ross running after us.

"Ross, don't!" I said, not wanting him to get hurt for something I said.

Dad started dragging me out the front door. I had no idea where we were going. Until he threw me in the backseat of his car.

He got in and locked the doors so I couldn't get out.

"Oh my god! You're drunk! You can't drive!" I said, starting to panic.

"Put on your seatbelt."

I sat back and put my seatbelt on. Dad started driving.

"Dad, please! This is dangerous!"

"Maybe if you weren't so ungrateful, you wouldn't be in this situation."

"You're going to kill us!"

I shut my eyes tight and pulled my knees to my chest. I don't think I've ever been this scared before. Normally I'm scared, but I know in a little while, the hits will be over. But this is way worse.

I buried my face in my knees, crying. He's literally going to kill us both.

Ross POV

I took my phone out from under my pillow and immediately called Mark. My hands were shaking so bad. I was kind of worried mom was going to come in any second and find out what I was doing. But I'm not even sure she's home. She might be out at a bar with her friends.

"Hello?"

"Dad kidnapped Riker."

"What!?"

"He just took him!" I said, starting to cry.

"Ross, I'm calling the police. Do you know where your dad is taking him?"

"No! And I think he's drunk!"

"Ok, I'm going to call the police, and then I will be right there."

"Please hurry."

Mark hung up. I couldn't tell if I was having a panic attack or a mental breakdown or if I was just crying. But I went downstairs to wait for Mark anyway.

I tried not to think about Riker at all because I didn't want to imagine all the possibilities of what might happen. I started pacing back and forth. After a little while, I heard sirens and they were getting closer and closer. And finally the police were here.

I opened the door, but I was a complete mess.

"Why would you put us back in his custody!? He's not going to change! And now he might accidentally kill Riker!" I screamed.

One of the police officers took my arm and brought me to the living room. If I wasn't having a panic attack before, I was definitely having one now.

The police officer who was sitting next to me on the couch was talking to me and trying to get me to calm down, but I couldn't even hear what he was saying. My thoughts were racing too much and I could only hear myself crying.

"Ross."

It's Mark!

I opened my eyes to see Mark walking over to me. He sat down beside me and pulled me into a hug. I was still panicking though.

"Ross, you need to calm down so you can tell the police everything you know as soon as possible so they can try to find Riker, ok?" Mark asked.

I nodded and just held onto him tighter. He rubbed my back slowly. My whole body was still trembling.

"Ross, can you try to answer some questions for them?" Mark asked.

I let go of him and took a deep breath. And I turned around to face the police officers.

"Tell me exactly what happened," the police officer sitting next to me said.