Chapter 49 As Wolves

She stumbled through the trees barely grasping the branches for support. The pain was intense it kept clawing at her insides especially every time she stopped to take a breath. She staggered on; she had to get away from them had to be free. She thought about Ed. “Who was his sis, what had she done?” all these questions came to her mind. She tried to shrug them away and crawl on. She pictured his huge hands, who knew what he was capable of. She was airborne for a moment before the ground connected with her face. Her cries became muffled in the grass. She tried to get up but her leg had been lodged in a hole or burrow of some sort. She inhaled a sharp breath as the pain swept up her leg. She grimaced and then froze.

            Carefully she turned around and then drew out her leg. If it was in a bad condition before no words could describe it now. She clung to a tree and stood up. She looked back to make sure no one was there and then dragged on. A cold wind blew etching a tear stained face. She did not know if she could cry anymore. Everything just seemed to be pain. She dragged herself, clinging to the trees as she went by. Hopefully she wound make her way out of this hellhole and to somewhere where she could get some medical attention. She sighed and continued on. “Why did it have to be her?” she thought, “Why?”

            She stumbled on until the trees started to thin. Before she could think a scent caught her nose. Someone or something was nearby. A chill crept through her body. Her wolf was calling to let out, to be free. She tried to struggle before the urge took over. A woodsy scent filled her nostrils before she dropped to her hands. It took only a moment to change. Her body was getting accostomed to this. The scent was stronger now. In her wolf form she felt stronger, her leg still bit her but she could move faster than she could have before. She camouflaged behind the trees looking, seeking out the scent. It was a few minutes before she saw it. A chestnut colored wolf ambled into view. Jane could have fainted. She would know that wolf anywhere. She inhaled sharply and hobbled behind a think tree. She gazed from behind as the wolf trotted amongst the trees. It sniffed the air. She could have died.

            It started to come towards her direction. She held her breath, hoping that it would go away. Instead it came stopping at intervals to make sure a scent was in the air. Before it could come up to her hiding spot however she stumbled back. She stepped through the bushes silently. She was about to take one more step back when her leg hit an old log. She yelped and then instantly looked up to see the wolf approaching. She ignored her pain and leapt away. Without looking back she stumbled on through the bushes. Her memories of the dance came racing through her mind. She sure as ever did not want to talk to the person who called her a freak in so many ways; she was not, but let him go on believing. He had done things to hurt her, her soul; she felt like piece of her was forever gone, immersed in a dark pit. He had found his mate; she had nothing to do with him. She looked back and saw him racing through the trees. “What the heck!” she thought.

            She sped up dragging her leg along. “Why hadn’t she healed yet?” Then it hit her she was not normal, a normal were would have healed in hours sometimes minutes but she was not normal. Sure she felt better than before but her healing process was taking so long. The wolf howled behind her. “No don’t howl,” she thought, “They’ll find me.” She scrambled through the bushes. Something lounged at her. She yelped and moved sideways. A flood of anger coursed through her veins.”Why the hell he couldn’t leave her?” she thought. She pushed on wanting to be as far away from him as possible. The trees helped but she was white and she knew that she was a direct target. “Wait,” she thought. Before she could even think she was rolled to the ground. She growled and lost a breath as she was slammed to the ground. Something pushed against her and held her against the ground.

            She looked up into his blue green eyes. He stared at her. Her body screamed to get up, to leap away from him but her wolf was saying something else. He bent down and nuzzled her. Her wolf responded. Before she could do anything the scent returned. It was a woodsy scent that reminded her of the rain, of the times that she played outside with the rain falling on her with the grass embracing her and nature just blossoming around her. She felt like she was lifted away from the trees, away from the pain. An overwhelming feeling crept throughout her being, she felt the pain melt away for a second .She looked into his eyes and then she knew that she had been marked.