Chapter 25 Betrayed?

Ms. Arquette!” someone shouted. Jane awoke with a start. Something white clouded her vision. She gasped and clawed at her face. Instantly her vision cleared. She almost burst out laughing when a paper fluttered to the floor, instead her head snapped up when someone cleared their throat, before stood Ms. Giddens tapping on her desk with a frown draped across her face.”I’m sorry,” Jane muttered. The frown grew lager and the class erupted in a fit of laughter. Jane blushed. “Ms. Arquette please see the dean right this minute,” she said. Jane sighed and got up. She caught Jenna staring at her concerned and offered a weak smile. She exited the class and mad her way to the dean’s room.

            She entered and instantly regretted. There sitting in a chair before the table was Jason. The dean looked up when the door opened and then so did he. Jane looked away. “Hello Ms. Arquette can I help you,’’ the dean, Mr. Wilkins asked. Jane nodded. “I, Ms. Giddens sent me I fell asleep in class,” she mumbled. Mr. Wilkins smiled. She looked at him directly trying to avoid Jason’s eyes. “Ms. Arquette,” Mr. Wilkins began, “This is the first time you have done this am I right,” he asked. Jane nodded. “Then I shall let you go this time but please don’t make this a habit,” he said. Jane smiled gratefully. “But I’m afraid that Ms. Giddens wouldn’t agree to my decision,” he continued. Jane’s smile disappeared. “You’ll have to wait till the period’s up so that she won’t interrogate you if you go back to class.” She sighed. He motioned for her to sit near the back and then resumed his conversation with Jason. Jane’s eyes roved the room inspecting everything but the duo in front of her.

            A phone rang somewhere and she looked up to see Mr. Wilkins answer it. He spoke for a few minutes before excusing himself and exited the room. She became petrified. “No, please don’t leave me!” she begged in her mind, “NO! NO! NO!” As soon as the door was shut Jason got up and rounded the dean’s desk before stopping in front of her. She gazed up at him partly in fear and partly in shock. After that episode in the gym she did not know what to expect from him. He stood towering over her, a vision of anguish framing his once calm face. He spoke. “Why?” he said. She sighed. “Please all I ask is why?” She gazed at him a moment before speaking. “Please don’t be angry, it’s just me, just think that I never existed, I was never here,” she answered. At her words he looked up and the flame of his near wolf colored eyes returned. He might have grabbed her if the door had not opened and Mr. Wilkins step in.

            “Mr. Moritz shall we continue, Ms. Arquette you’re free to go,” he said. Jane sighed in relief as the bell rang. She waited as Jason stared at her one last time before turning on his heels. He walked past the table and out the door. Mr. Wilkins shook his head. Jane got up and silently left the room. Jane’s mind was a whirlpool. “For goodness sakes there were many fishes in the sea, if  Bonnie happened to be his then what was the problem, but why was she feeling this way?” she asked herself. She had lunch by herself partly because Jenna was hanging out with Drew at the popular table and partly because Jason was there as well. It seemed so weird that he spoke to Jenna as if nothing had happened.

            She finished her pastrami sandwich and went to class early. The evening bore on. It was only after the bell had rung that she remembered that she had to help out in the library toady. She was the last out of class. She trudged past the lockers and the hall and onwards to the library. She was shocked that she had not seen Jason again but she was also glad since she did not have to face him. She entered the library and inhaled the air. The smell of books engulfed her lungs she could not remember the last time she was here. Since she had been with Jason she had never gotten the chance. Atleast now she could come in and read when she wanted. She met the librarian, Mrs. Callow and was shown into the historical section of the library. Here she was expected to ensure that the books were on the right shelf and that they were arranged according to the Dewey decimal system. When she was left alone she began to look through the books. She stumbled upon a local book entitled, “Weres. Our history, how we came to be and who we are.”

            It was an old leather bound book with gold trimmings on the ends and ancient yellowed pages. She picked it up and opened it. Never before had she seen a local book published, well it was published but on display at the library. She flipped open the cover and came upon an introduction.

            “The weres of Healding were descendents from an ancient line of weres.” She read that only blood weres inhabited Healding and it was quite small compared to other towns and even cities. She read about trials she never knew existed alongside the time when witches were prosecuted. She read more and more and could have fainted. It was like a new World had opened up. The people who burnt witches and weres were Humans. A name she thought only existed in myths and legends. She was about to continue reading when she heard a scuffle. She marked the page and then tiptoed towards the sound. They grew intense. She stumbled along a shelf and might have run into the aisle if another had not prevented her. She could have died when she saw the scene before her. There stood or rather pressed against the wall was Bonnie and in front of her, could it be. A familiar tuft of black hair drew her eyes. “It’s not him, he wouldn’t do this!” she thought but he broke away she might have collapsed if it was not for the shelf in front of her.

            A tiny pain began at her chest. She ignored it but her heart could not take in the scene before her. She stepped back noiselessly and grabbed her bag. Before she could think she had begun to run through the back exit. Hot tears graced her already pallid cheeks as she ran. “I’m such a fool,” she thought, “Why do I even care he’s not with me anymore.” The pain jolted through her chest. She gasped and stood still unable to catch her breath. She managed to reach the parking lot before she became immersed in a sea of pain. Her bag fell from her grasp as she doubled over. The pain, it tore at her insides, descending from stomach to her toes. It crawled through her like a hot knife delving into her soul. She screamed. It was only then that she realized that someone was standing over her. That was the last think she saw before everything dissolved and darkness claimed her.