Chapter 22 The Call

After school Jane met up with Jason. They were walking through the hallway when Jane finally missed Jenna. “Hey wait we have to get Jenna?” she said. Jason smiled. “What?” she asked. “Where do you think she is?” he asked. Jane was puzzled for a moment but then it dawned on her. “Oh Drew I forgot,” she said. “I’m happy for her?” she said. “I’m happy for both of them,” Jason said, “it’s not everyday you get to find your mate. Jane inhaled and looked at him. He was looking straight ahead. “Did those words have some hidden meaning?” she thought. He caught her gazing and smiled. She thought about asking him about Bonnie but she could not find the words to tell him. “What if it Jason did reject her she would not want to be the cause even if it was Bonnie, no werewolf popular or not wanted to lose their mate. She gazed at the floor willing those thought away.

            They strode out of the gates and into the parking lot. After settling in his Ferrari he drove off. “Hey want to go for some ice-cream?” he asked, “I never did get to have it when we were over the phone.” She smiled. Ice cream sounded good but she just needed some time to think. “Sorry I don’t feel so well maybe I should rest up a bit,” she said while looking at the road. She knew that if she looked at him he would know something was wrong. She caught him looking and put on a weak smile. He drove on silently until they had reached her house. She smiled and leaned over and kissed his cheek. He sat back staring at her. She gathered her books and was about to leave when he pulled her back. “Hey,” she cried. He held her arm and leaned into her, gazing into her brown eyes. She blinked.

            “What’s wrong?” he demanded. She looked at him trying to furrow her eyebrows but thinking that she was failing. “What, nothing,” she said. He pressed in closer and she couldn’t help it. It would have to be this or spilling the most uncomfortable question she had in the pit of her stomach. She shrugged off her arm which was quite difficult to do since he was clutching it like a vice. He let her go and she pulled him to her before capturing his lips. She held that position for a moment before he was the one to break away. She smiled. He stared at her in shock. Then grasped her and pulled her. She shied away and then opened the door. “I told you nothing was wrong,” she said. “I could tell,” he answered. She smiled. “But what about another demonstration,” he smirked and said. She gave him a pout and then began to walk away. “Hey just remember I’m the one picking you up tomorrow so I’m just saying anything’s possible.” He honked his horn and Jane waved before he drove off. Boys could be such great persons sometimes especially if they were your boyfriend, one kiss and your most crazy secret was forgotten.

            She opened the gates and went up the path before crossing the arches and then the stone steps. She reached the walkway and ascended the steps to the front door. As she burst in the smell of grilled chicken filled her nostrils. She gulped in a mouthful of air and traced it to the kitchen. She found Ms. Daisy busy over the stove, she said hello and grabbed a bag of chips and an orange juice before making her way to the living room. She had almost reached it when the telephone rang. “Jane dear will you get that please?” Ms. Daisy said. She held the juice under her arm and picked up the phone. “Hello,” she answered. “Hello,” a raspy voice rang out. “Yes can I help you?” she asked. The voice chuckled and then spoke. “Hello Jane I’ve been watching you, I know your little secret and if you’re not careful the whole school may end up finding out,” the voice said. Jane was stupefied. “Hello, who is this, who are you?” Jane cried. The voice chuckled and then the line went dead.

            Her thoughts swarm. “Who could it be?” she thought. Her thoughts roved around anyone who had any reason to spill her secret, who could even know her secret. She inhaled when she thought of Bonnie. “It had to be her, she thought, “But how did she know her secret?” Jane thought. “Jane,” Ms. Daisy called. “It’s ok Ms. Daisy just one of my friends who called about a project,” she answered. “Ok dear,” Ms. Daisy replied. She put down the chips and juice and went up the stairs towards her room. There she flung herself on her bed. “How could this happen?” she thought. She thought about what Bonnie had said and then it dawned on her. She felt sick. “But what if she could do one thing to solve this whole fiasco. It would ruin her happiness, part of her life but was she willing to take that step to save her secret from being spilled to the whole school. Thoughts of being ridiculed for the rest of her school life flashed through her mind. She would rather keep that from happening than losing a part of her happiness. But was it worth it?