Chapter 15 Gone Again

Jane sat staring at her food waiting for her father to return. She thought about what he had said and why he would run away but she could not come up with any rational explanation. She knew that it had something to do with his hand but she did not know what. Whatever it was it had to be really bad for him to want to change in his wolf form. Tired of waiting she got up and ascended the flight of steps that led to her room. She entered and sat down in front of her mirror. She casually placed the necklace around her neck and then clasped it. It shone in the light, the intricate working cast out a silvery glow that give her the same feeling that she got when she held it before. She glanced at herself. It was a while since she had really looked at herself, really looked at herself. Her long black hair lay against her back framing her caramel brown eyes. She realized that she was not wearing her contacts. She had practically forgotten about them.

            She tried taking it out but she did not feel any. She tried to calm herself. She blinked and looked in the mirror. “They must have dropped out,” she thought, “they had to.” “But then how am I seeing so clearly?” she questioned herself. She stood up and was about to run downstairs to tell Ms. Daisy when a knock was heard at her door. She opened it and there stood her father. “Dad?” she asked. He smiled and she noticed that he had on his jacket. “Honey,” he began, “I have to go but I’m sorry I ran out on you like that but I, I couldn’t help it talking about you mother just brings back memories of the good times we once had and will never have with her again,” he finished. Jane smiled and a lone tear trickled down her face. She knew exactly what he meant. “There are times that I miss her and you,” he said. Jane smiled. “Did he just say that,” she thought. “I know dad,” she finally mumbled out. “I see that you’re wearing your mom’s necklace, always wear it,” he said. She nodded and he bent forward to embrace her but then stopped midway instead he kissed her cheek.

            He looked at her and began to walk away when she called out, “Dad!”He spun around. “Dad I, my contacts, I forgot to take them out and this is weird but I think they’ve dropped out and the crazy thing is I can see without them,” she rattled off. He smiled. “My girl’s is growing up,” he said. She looked at him puzzled. “Don’t worry honey, it runs in the family,” with those last words he disappeared down the stairs. Jane stared at him confused. “What did he mean?” She closed the door and sat on her bad maybe tomorrow she would start her volunteering work at the library and research at the same time. “Hey maybe I can even find out why I haven’t changed yet,” she thought. “Funny how she never thought about doing that,” she thought. Her thoughts fell on Jason and a pang of hatred flared up inside of her. She lay back and her stomach growled. “Guess it’s time for a late night snack,” she said.