Chapter 36 White wolf

They made their way to the front and then separated. Jenna took the tennis court and the back of the parking lot while Drew made his way to the bleachers and the back of the library. Jenna walked out the gate and surveyed the parking lot. Cars were jammed into every available space but they were slowly trickling out, now that the party was burning down. She began to walk towards the benches. She looked around surveying the ground. Looking, searching for a hint of where Jane could have disappeared. To the left of her she spotted it. It glistened in the moon light. She ran towards it and then stopped. There before her lay the mask that her mom had made for Jane’s costume. She stooped down and lifted it up. It was now a mangled mess. Who knew how many cars had rolled over it. With one weak tug it might have broken into two. Jane held it close and sighed. “Where are you Jane?” she thought.

            She held the mask and then continued to walk. She wove past the benches and continued on, past the tennis court until she arrived at the back of the school. Her eyes swept across the ground. The grounds were so dark; the only light was the small ray of moonlight that shone from above. She walked on. She had almost reached the end of the tennis court when she heard it, a howl. She stopped dead in her tracks and listened. Before she could think she ran for Drew. She almost collided with him as he came out running from the court. He caught her and looked into her eyes. “What’s wrong?” Jenna asked. He had a wild look about him like he would shift any moment. “Drew,” she said. He shook his head and looked at her. “I heard a howl,” he said. Jenna shook her head. “I head one too I think we should go in there,” Jenna said while pointing to the clump of trees that led to the forest.

            He grasped her hand and shook his head fiercely. “No!” he bit out. She looked at him confused. “But I…” she tried to say. “Jenna promise me that you will not go in there,” Drew bit out. “But if Jane’s there I...” “Promise me!” He said. She looked up at him and then nodded. “I’ll go,” he said. Jenna’s eyes retracted. “But Drew you...” She began. “Hey I’ll see if she’s there and if she is I’ll get her,” he said. She nodded and followed him near to the trees. He gazed at her a moment before bending. He came up with his pants loosened. “Am, what are you doing?” she asked. He smirked. A wolf has to have something attached to him if he’s going to change,” he said, “unless he wants to be naked when he changes back.” Jenna blushed. He tied his pants around his leg and then stood up. “Nice shorts,” she commented. He blushed and tried to hide his pink shorts. He pulled off his Egyptian headwear and armor and then pecked her on the lips. “I’ll get her if she’s there,” he said before running into the trees. She stared after him. She had never seen him shift before. Before her eyes he transformed into a chestnut colored wolf. She felt a gush in her chest and smiled. It was her wolf wanting to be let out. She made her way to the tennis court and sat on the railing.

            Drew raced through the forest. He knew what he’d heard. It was the alpha’s call. The call that no wolf in the pack could deny. It was his call of dominance. He raced through the trees, his paws landing soundlessly on the undergrowth. He had no idea what was going on but he meant to find out. He raced past an old fallen oak and might fallen from the scent that met his nose. Not too far from him a strange smell caught his nose; it was the scent of a wolf but mingled with something else, something like lavender. He slowed his speed and followed the scent. It was like nothing he had ever smelt before. He followed it until it grew strongest at a small clearing. He stopped and tried to see through the gnarled branches. What he saw made him freeze. It was a white wolf, a true rare spectacle, only twice had a white wolf ever been seen and at those times none of them had the scent that was coming out of this one. He stepped forward wanting to see more. He stepped forward so absorbed in watching that he did not notice the log until it was too late. He slumped to the ground and let out a howl.

            Instantly something lunged on top of him. He struggled as his legs were pinned to the ground. He growled and looked up. There before him was another chestnut colored wolf but this one was a deeper hue. “Dad?”Drew thought. “What the heck are you doing here Drew?” His father’s thoughts came flying back. “What’s going on here?” Drew thought. “Nothing, nothing’s going on here now get the hell out of here, if you ever mention this to anyone, you’ll see what happens,” His father bit out. Drew cringed and his father jumped away. Drew stared at the scene before him. There was the alpha and another one of the pack members and there lay the white wolf, why were they cornering it?” he thought. He heard a growl and then saw his father; he sprang up and then started to back away from the scene. He backed away through the bushes and then with a last look disappeared through the trees. “What the heck?” he thought, “What was he to tell Jenna, he didn’t find Jane but something so strange he didn’t know what to think.