Chapter Four

Though I had felt confident before, when I walked through the door to me and Bryan's apartment and saw him waiting for us, my stomach dropped and I felt a sense of panic.

Kyle stroked my hair and tried to soothe me. He didn't have to do much. Just the touch of Kyle was enough to put me into a state of total relaxation.

The friendly normal Bryan from the restaurant was gone, I could tell by the way he stared at me. There was a hungry look in his eyes, despite the empty aluminum foil wrappings from his burrito. He said nothing as we passed him on the way to my bedroom.

Kyle sat down on my mattress as I headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed. I brushed my teeth and changed my clothes. When I reemerged Kyle was looking through an old notebook of mine. I immediately recognized it as the journal I used to write songs in. I felt a rush of embarrassment. He didn't know, but most of the songs were written about him. He was truly beautiful and I couldn't help I but to admire him.

Kyle looked up and saw me staring at him and flushed a deep red. He shut the notebook quickly and cleared his throat, "those were beautiful Johnnie." He said looking directly into my eyes.

I felt my heartbeat quicken. I was unable to take my eyes off him. We stood there for a while, just looking at one another, not touching or speaking.

Kyle shook his head, breaking the connection, "uh.. So are you good? Do you need anything? If not I'll just head to the living room and let you sleep or whatever." He said quickly.

I felt tears well up in my eyes, "Kyle.." I croaked out, "please."

Almost instantly I was wrapped in kyle's arms, "don't worry baby I've got you." He said in a hushed tone.

"Kyle?" I whispered, pulling away slightly so I could look at him.

"Yeah Johnnie?"

"I..I'm afraid to sleep in here alone.." My voice trailed off

Kyle took my shoulders and leaned down so we were eye level, " you never need to worry about being alone again. You hear me? Never. I will always be here." His voice was deadly serious, I could tell he honestly cared for me. I started balling. Kyles arms still holding me, keeping me on my feet. I never thought anyone would truly care about me.. Not since my father died.

After I had composed myself Kyle asked me if I wanted him to sleep with me tonight, I responded yes instantly. He seemed more than willing to stay.

I only had a full size mattress so things were close, not that I minded it at all. The warmth of Kyle laying next to me was reassuring. I was about to fall peacefully to a much needed slumber when I heard Kyle whisper my name.

"Yes?" I yawned.

"Who were those songs written about?"

I felt my cheeks redden, "no one." I responded quickly.

"Don't lie." Kyle's tone was sharp.

I took a deep breath, "you. I wrote those songs about you."

There was a silence.

"I liked them." Kyle murmured.

There was another pause before I felt I pair of arms pull me in. "Johnnie?" Kyle said into my hair.

"Yes Kyle?" I responded dreamily.

"Never mind."

I wanted to know what he was going to say but I was too tired to protest. So I let kyles arms act as shields as I drifted to sleep.

I felt like I had barely closed my eyes when I heard the sound of a door creaking open. I shook Kyle awake and buried my face in his chest. I knew who was at the door.

Kyle sat up a little a cried out "who's there?" He grabbed his phone and pointed the light at the door. The beam struck a blonde Jew fro. I practically screamed.

I started shaking uncontrollably, "Kyle.." I managed to choke out, before I began to hyperventilate.

Bryan was now standing in the door way, smile still present. He took a long look at me pressed up against Kyle and laughed a little. "Ohhhh. I'm so very sorry." He said too politely, "wrong room." He very slowly, then, slid back into the hallway.

I was safe. Kyle saved me. At that moment I couldn't imagine life without him. Even if he didn't wear a cape, he was my hero.