Forever ours

Maverick's POV:

I SAT COMFORTABLY in my chair outside on the patio, staring up at the bright night sky as our children, Jake and Flora ran circles round the garden; waving sticks they'd picked up from the flowerbeds, pretending to be magic sorcerers from Harry Potter. My husband joined me soon after carrying two glasses of champagne and a small glass bowl of sour jellybeans; the candy we'd happily shared together on our wedding day, a few months ago. The wedding in itself was a huge success with a grand turnout. Everyone who we knew and invited came. Viper, Jester, Carol, young Bradley as our ring bearer, Iceman's Mom and younger brother and even Charlie. It was a momentous occasion; one of which would stay with me forever (never allowing me to forget it). Iceman placed the drinks on the table along with the candy bowl and pecked my cheek before pulling up a chair and plonking himself down beside me.

"Hey there darling, you alright?" He whispered, his hand finding mine and squeezing it gently.

"Just a little whimsical I guess. Hoping I've made Goose proud as he watches over from up above." I pointed to the starry night sky as I said this and a tears formed in my eyes, threading to run down my face. I willed them not to but they didn't listen and I lost that battle as they slid their way down my cheeks. Iceman noticed this and immediately jumped in; swiping them away with his thumb and cupping my face in his hands.

"Sunshine, you've made him more than proud. He's looking down and thinking my god what an amazing man. I'm lucky to have known him! He's continuing to stay with us spiritually and act as a guardian angel to our two beautiful children. There is nothing to fear nor be sorry for." He reassured me. I sniffed.

"I know but I'm scared. I regret the past, I'm afraid of the future and I don't know if I can welcome in another new year without him. It just doesn't seem fair nor right." I said sadly as the tears began to flow more heavily.

"Come here, honey." Iceman cooed, open arms and a gentle smile. Instantly, I fell into them and allowed his strong arms to wrap around me; drawing me into a closer embrace. "It's going to be okay, you don't need to worry. He's proud of you as are you him. He'd want you to do this. You can't change the past and nothing you do will bring him back nor can you keep blaming yourself for what happened. It simply isn't fair, much like life sometimes. I know it can be tough and cruel and challenging I know, you needn't tell me that. I felt the same way when my Father passed away years back. But I tell you one thing you can do?" He suggested.

"Mmmh?" I half mumbled half cried, my reply muffled by his fuzzy dressing gown.

"Focus on you. Don't worry about expectations or anything anyone else sees you as, not because you don't live up to them but because they simply don't apply to you. You don't live your life to please others, you do what makes you happy and that's all that matters. I'm always here for you and I am never going to leave you. Ever. Unless it comes to a point where you're sick of me." He chuckled and this gained a small snuffle snort from me in what was as close to laughter as I could get right now. I pulled away gently and looked up into his eyes with a watery smile.

"How did you get that good at giving advice?" I asked.

"Practice makes perfect." He smiled, tapping the side of his nose in sworn secrecy. "Oh and one more thing." He added.

"Mmmmh?" I said again.

"I got that promotion I told you about." He proudly announced.

"You did?!" I exclaimed.

"I did indeed." Ice smiled back, kindly.

"Congratulations! I've never loved you more!" I cried as I pulled him into a tight hug. He patted my shoulder gently.