Little more than curiosity

Charlie's POV:

CHECKING MY watch, a sigh escaped my lips. I still had well over an hour before my shift ended. And even after that, I still had a telephone interview about my supposed 'promotion' for a job in Washington I'd applied for a few weeks back. But I supposed I had to focus on the now and take it one step at a time. Taking a deep breath, I walked over to Lieutenant Mitchell (or Maverick he'd told me that one fateful night in the bar), and began advising him on his aviation skills.

"You know, a rolling reversal would also work real well in that situation. And it's potentially the better option." I informed him, in a professional yet friendly manner. He removed his shades and smirked up at me. Not missing a beat he began an in depth explanation about other alternatives.

"Yeah I spose' so but if I reversed on a hard cross, I could immediately go to guns on him. See here? Just like this." Lieutenant Mitchell argued, displaying elaborate gestures and moves passionately with his arms. I'd half expected him to be a little argumentative (like most of the men here were with a few exceptions) but I hadn't put him down for the type who'd argue back but try to do so in a way that showed his politeness and even a little respect for me and it was not something I was accustomed to, seeing as most would usually just brush over the fact that I was here (and even existed) at all, claiming that 'I was lost' or a pick me type looking for 'a boyfriend to show off to the other girls' (unfortunately, that's a quote on quote from some of the men here).

"Yeah but his speed is too fast." I shook my head, in disagreement. "And it's a little too aggressive don't you think?" I added.

"Too aggressive?" Lieutenant Mitchell looked up at me with a hopeful yet slightly hurt expression which almost made me feel guilty had i not reminded myself that I was here to do a job and do it well. "Huh well I guess when I see something I go right after it." He said, not breaking eye contact; a sad smile graced his tanned face. Feeling like it was a compulsory urge to respond, I pulled the lid of my pen and started furiously scribbling on a piece of paper attached to my clipboard.

"Yes well, not everyone is made for the fast lane of this life." I replied. Not looking up to see how he'd respond emotionally, I continued scribbling as he asked his next set of seemingly 'endless' questions (which I found myself to be somehow enjoying)?

"You didn't tell me who you were the other night. Why was that?" He asked curiously. I shrugged.

"Well you didn't exactly give me a chance, did you?" I said, flatly. "You deserved it and you know it."

"I know. But, you were tempted surely?" He paused for a brief moment before continuing. "To..... ask me out for dinner." I almost outright snorted with laughter. His sentence (disguised as a question) took me by surprise but somehow had also managed to make me laugh. Yet his tone sounded so hopeful and young...

"You're- excuse me." I had to cover my mouth and take deep breathes to bring my laughter to a close. "You are.." I couldn't keep a straight face and I burst into laughter again. Oh for goodness sake! Come on Charlotte you're better than this! Pull yourself together woman! "Sorry about that." I said wiping away the tears of joy from my eyes. "You are joking right?" I finally managed to say, with a wry smile. Lieutenant Mitchell just stared up at me, confusion glistening in his enchanting green eyes.

"What's funny sweetheart? If there's a joke, by all means share it." He grinned cheekily whilst I just stared back at him in disbelief. So his question had been genuinely serious. Which in turn meant, that I had not only made a fool out of myself, but I'd also made Maverick look like an idiot.

Never Yours On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara