Lies

A/N: the song Lies by McFly &/or the song little lies by Fleetwood Mac fit this chapter perfectly. Either one or both work well but it's up to you. They just fit brilliantly!

THIS MORNING'S class was situated in an open hangar, facing the runway. You could say it was our first actual lesson since yesterday was technically only an orientation.

"Now, you'll also be trained and evaluated by a civilian specialist. The civilians are our very best source of information on enemy aircraft." Jester stopped to read our expressions. "None are more qualified than our tag rep Charlotte, call sign Charlie. She has a PHD in astrophysics and may I remind you is a civilian contractor so you do not salute her." As if her being a civilian made her any less important, I thought. "They're all your's Charlie." Jester said, walking away toward the back.

"Thank you. Hello it's nice to meet you all. We will be using A4's and F5's as our mixed Mig simulators. Now then, as most of you know, the F-5 doesn't have the thrust to weight ratio that the Mig - 28 does." Charlie looked directly at me when she said about thrust and weight which was a bit of a low blow. I wondered why for all of about 0.5 seconds before it hit me. She was the woman I'd sung to and followed into the bathrooms! For goodness sake! I hadn't known she was a Top Gun instructor! I turned to Goose and consulted with him on what to do. He recommend putting on my aviators so I did just that.

"However, the Mig 28 does have a problem with its inverted flight tanks and that issue is that it won't do a negative G push over." Charlie continued. I whipped my head back to Goose, one eyebrow arched, conveying the message of 'are you gonna tell her or shall I?' He shook his head but I began quietly talking to him anyway.

"She's the instructor but she's wrong." Goose whispered.

"So? Does that really make any difference? Someone has to tell her!" I quipped back.

"You're right I suppose. But who's gonna tell her?" He asked.

"We solve this the adult way." I said, feeling incredibly posh all of a sudden.

"Rock, paper scissors it?" Goose suggested. I nodded.

"Obviously what other way is there?! Best of three!" I said grinning and placing my balled up first on the desk. "Okay, ready? 3, 2, 1, go!" I said softly as the game began. We'd barely gotten through the second round when Charlie stopped talking. Frankly, it was remarkable how we'd got this far without her noticing. That was, up until now of course when she asked: "Excuse me, Lieutenants. Is there a problem?" She asked, tone carrying agitation and venom for having interrupted her.

"Yes Ma'am. I hate to be the one to tell you but the data on the Mig is inaccurate." I said confidently. The rest of the room went completely silent and I was now fully aware that everyone's attention lay on me and the instructor with our little 'argument' you could say.

"Oh really? And how's that, Lieutenant?" She questioned, angrily.

"Well since you asked so nicely." I grinned but she didn't seem to take that to well so I coughed and continued. "I just happened to see-" Goose interrupted me.

"No, you mean WE, WE I was there too!" He added, claiming some of the credit which I had to give to him. I nodded.

"Yes sorry Goose, WE-"

"Thank you." He chipped in.

"Well,WE just happened to see a Mig - 28 do a 4G negative dive." I finished. The class gasped in shock.

"Is that so? And where did you supposedly witness this then, Lieutenant?" She scoffed and narrowed her eyes at the two of us.

"Well we started up on his 6 when he pulled up above the clouds and we moved in above him." I explained.