Aerobatic displays

IT'S RATHER easy to take the simple things in life for granted. Nothing is a better example of this than flying and forgetting the overwhelming amount of sheer joy it brings most people when they take to the skies weather that be for the first time or for the millionth. I can't even begin to describe how elated and joyous it makes me.

"Talk to me Goose!" I say, into my mask.

"I'm looking, I'm looking! Right Jester's, 3 o'clock high!" Goose reported.

"Thank you buddy!" I reply, grateful to have someone as lovely as Goose as my backseater. Pulling back on the stick, I incline the nose of the plane up and begin to start a vertical rise, gaining us altitude and advantage.

"Mav! Whatever that little trick was, it didn't work! Jester saw and followed us up! We gotta do something quick or he'll have a lock!" Goose warned, craning his neck round, desperately trying to search for our instructor.

"Alright hold on!" I retort.

"No Mav not hold on! Hurry! He's on our tail!" Goose repeated, panicking.

"Relax it's fine! I've had enough of his games anyway! I'll hit the brakes and he'll fly right by, I promise you!" I said.

As Jester drew closer, I heard his dashboard display emit a series of beeps which I interpreted to mean that he was waiting for the right moment to get a lock.

"Goose? Status please." I asked, calmly.

"Mav he's nearly got lock! A few more seconds we'll be dead! If you're gonna do something, by Christ do it now!" He yelled. Just as Jester's target square hit our plane, I violently pulled up and cut one of the engines, causing him to fly right by below us.

"See? I told you it would work!" I grinned. Goose just sighed.

"Honestly, what would you do without me? Danger is like your middle name, isn't it?" He said, a hint of amusement buried in his seemingly disappointed tone.

"Actually it's Henry but yeah you could say that." I grinned. "Glad to know you're still with me."

"Why wouldn't I be? You donut!" He laughed.

"Just remember we haven't actually caught him yet." I reminded Goose.

"Oh I know! I just got faith in you buddy! You are the pilot after all!" He chuckled.

"Thanks Goosey boy, let's go get him!" I responded, dipping below the clouds to gain a visual of Jester. I found him but the only problem was that he was heading for the hard deck, clearly not having seen me or so Goose informed me.

"Absolutely no way! You're mine Jester!" I said, determinedly into the comms system. "Hang on Goose, we're going lower to catch this sucker!" And so we did. His capture wasn't instant but at the same time it didn't take too long. Plus side though! We'd only dropped a few feet below the set hard deck so it wasn't that bad.

"Congratulations, gentlemen. Now get yourselves above the hard deck and return to base!" Jester said defeatedly as the long, drawn out beep ran through his cockpit.

"Yes sir." I said, mockingly, banking left and heading back to base. But I had a better idea just before we did so. "Tower this is ghost rider requesting a flyby?" I asked, unclipping my mask and holding it up to my face.

"Negative ghost rider the pattern is full." The voice of whom I assumed to be the air boss replied flatly.

"No, Mav he said no!" Goose said sternly.

"Sorry Goose but we're gonna do it anyway!" I said back, angling the plane perfectly so that we'd just miss the tower by inches. We sped past and rolled the plane round in a loop repeatedly so that nobody could see the number or the names on the side of the jet.

"Great balls of fire!" Me and Goose said together, laughing as we did such.

Once we'd landed and parked the jet in its designated place, we jumped down the ladder, thanking the ground crew for their assistance and headed inside to go take a shower and take off our heavy, gear.

In the locker rooms•

"Ye haw! Jesters dead!" Goose cried happily as we walked over to our assigned lockers

"You won? That's not true!" Wolfman said, from where he was laying on the wooden bench in the middle of the room.

"Didn't everybody?" Goose smiled.

"Hell no man we got our butts kicked! 30 seconds was all of how long it took! He went like this, we went like that." He gestured with his arms and continued to elaborate his rather overly dramatic point. "Yeah then he was laughing at us over the radio!" His RIO added.

"No, that was me laughing you idiot! We won!" Slider interrupted. I hadn't heard him nor his pilot enter.

"All right! Well done!" People congratulated, clapping them on the back and whooping. I frowned to myself and couldn't resist biting back.

"We won too man." I said smiling sweetly.

"Oh? That's not what I was told." Slider remarked.

"No we did man we got Jester!" Goose answered.

"Absolute rubbish! Below the hard deck doesn't count!" Iceman retorted, jealously, opening his locker and throwing his stuff carelessly inside.

"Well you can stick the hard deck where the sun don't shine! We nailed him fair and square!" I explained, flashing Goose a broad grin and high fiving him.

"Huh. You guys really are cowboys." Iceman sneered.

"What's your problem, Kazansky? Jealous are we? Oh no how sad!" I mocked. He slammed his locker shut and faced me, scowling.

"You're everyone's problem! That's because every time you go up in the air you're unsafe! I don't like you because you're dangerous." He snapped. Not missing a beat I stepped forward placed one hand on his shoulder and with the other, I made a fist and shook it.

"That's right Frosty! I am dangerous!" I sniped back, pulling on his blue shirt collar as I did such. He did not hesitate to make a weird, snapping action with his jaw. It really strange and confused me a lot. Thankfully, before I could dwell on it any longer, Jester walked through the door carrying his helmet.

"Maverick, Goose! Get out of that flight gear then get your butts up to Viper's office!" He said, dissatisfaction coating his tone. We nodded and he walked away.

"Ooh dear someone's in trouble!" Frosty mocked, patting my arm and turning away to grab his comb.

"Remember boys, there's no points for second place." Slider laughed, low and hoarse.

"Oh you're a lot brighter than you look!" Goose smiled.

"Oh you shut up okay!" Slider barked, pointing a finger at Goose in an unpleasant manner.

"Hey, hey Goose he isn't worth it! Just leave him, he's just jealous." I said, steering Goose away from the obnoxious man.

"Of what? There's nothing to envy." Iceman rather helpfully put.

"Of our fabulousness! Clearly you can't see it, Frosty!" I roared with laughter as the two of us left the room leaving Iceman (who I'd rather fittingly nicknamed 'Frosty') in a fit of rage, and headed up to Viper's office, presumably to get yelled at...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Word Count: 1202