Practice what you preach

SIPPING MY americano with my legs outstretched on the bar in front of me, I listened vaguely to Viper who was trying to teach us the basics (again) on how to fly properly which to me seemed stupid because we'd made it this far so who's to say we couldn't be trusted? Goose sat beside me, arms resting behind his head, humming quietly to himself, trying to get through this hour and a half of pure boredom.

"Yo, Goose, what's the time?" I whispered, swallowing a sip of my coffee. He pulled his arm round and checked his watch before placing it back where it'd previously been.

"Time's twelve o'clock Mav. It's only been five minutes since you last asked. We've still got another half hour left." He stated. I groaned and took another sip of my drink. Why Lord why were we subjected to this?

"Now, the bandit has good positioning right there." Viper's voice drifted over to me, snapping me out of my conversation. "Moment of choice!" He said. For what? I hadn't been listening. Confused, I looked around at the various different displays and board, desperately trying to gain an understanding of what was going on so I wouldn't get called on and get into trouble for not listening. "The F-14 is defensive and it has a chance to bug out right here. Better to retire and save your aircraft and quite possibly your life, than continue and push a bad position. Charlie jump in here anytime." Viper explained, motioning to Charlie to help him whenever. He then started to drone on about pushing a bad position and zones along with escaping and by that time, I'd fully lost him. That was of course until, Charlie butted in.

"Aircraft one performs a split S? That's the last thing you should do if the Mig is right on your tail!" She scolded. Immediately, I knew she was talking about my flight performance today. And let me just tell you, I didn't take too kindly to criticism. I sat up straighter as Charlie edged her way toward me, slowly.

"The Mig has you in his gunsight. What were you thinking at this point?" She queried.

"You don't have time to think up there; you think and you're dead." I tapped back, stiffly. From behind me, I heard Iceman mutter: "Not if you're a good pilot." I spun round and growled in a low voice so that nobody (or as little people as possible) would hear what I said.

"I didn't ask for your view, Ice. So you can stick it where the sun don't shine. Okay?" I growled.

"Noted. Clearly you don't have a sense of manners. Parents raise you as feral or something did they?" He uttered, goading me that little bit more.

"No but clearly yours adopted you." Goose snapped back, before I could even open my mouth to retaliate. "Now drop it before I make you." He hissed. It worked and Iceman drew back, arms crossed across his chest, face scowling, slumped in his chair like a toddler having a tantrum.

Completely ignoring all of this, Charlie pressed on. "Well that's a big gamble with a $30 million plane Lieutenant." I remained silent, but not by choice. Goose dug his elbow into my side and gave me a warning look that said 'if you say anything I swear to God'. Taking a deep breath, I watched her walk away back to the screen.

"Unfortunately, the gamble worked. The Mig never got a clean shot. Maverick makes an aggressive vertical move here." She stopped and pointed at the screen. "Comes over the top and defeats the bandit, but not without unnecessary risk of course. The encounter by some miracle was a victory but I think we've shown it as an example of what not to do." Charlie finished, seemingly triumphantly as she glanced back at me, and what I could only hope was the poker face mask I was displaying.

"Gutsiest move I ever saw man." Slider whispered over my shoulder.

"G thanks dude, really appreciate it." I replied cautiously, not knowing if he was being sarcastic or genuine.

"Hey, look man. Don't mind Tom, he's just got a lot on his plate at the moment; too much to do, to figure out and too much work pressure you know? Just ignore him if he says or does anything, he doesn't mean it. I'll tap him into line don't you worry." Slider informed me.

"Okay then, if you say so." I commented. From then on, the two of us continued to talk in hushed tones (to Goose's utter dismay) over Charlie and her lecture about 'perfect textbook manoeuvres'. Frankly, I didn't see why mine hadn't been included in this sector; it was risky yeah sure I don't deny that but did it work? Hell yeah it did! But she was my friend and that would be a hard pill to swallow. Well, I'd probably say more than a friend at this point.

Two minutes later, the bell rang to signal the end of the review. Everyone gathered their things and rose, heading for the door to go home. I grabbed my jacket from the metal bar in front of me, slung it on and picked up my empty coffee cup. "I'll see you around buddy." I said, to Goose who merely nodded and set about gathering his things. I walked out of the hangar, down the corridor and outside the base, lapping up the fresh, crisp air as it hit my warm sweaty face. However, as I made my way toward my motorbike, I heard footsteps behind me. I didn't need to turn around to recognise the clicking of the heels.

"Lieutenant!" She called, calmly. I ignored her and continued on, stepping down the steps and swinging my leg over my bike.

"Maverick?" She called again; this time more uncertain. Once again, I ignored her and revved up the engine. Charlie then ran over to me and towered above me as I kicked the stand away. "Lieutenant Mitchell!" She yelled over the noise. Charlie began stating something that I couldn't quite hear.

"What?! I can't hear you!" I remarked, revving the engine louder. And with that, I pulled out of the parking lot, speeding away leaving her standing there in the dust. Some tiny part of me felt at least a little guilty but who am I kidding? She was supposed to be on my side and she'd absolutely butchered my flying ability and made me look like an idiot in front of everyone.

She deserved it...

Iceman's POV:

EMERGING FROM my hiding space behind the bins, I stepped out into the parking lot once I was sure Charlie had disappeared. It was growing dark and most people had either just left or were preparing to leave. Nobody took any notice of me so I wouldn't be judged for where I was about to go. Checking around me one last time, I set off in a run up the road; following the tracks Maverick's motorcycle had made. I had come to realise something and I wasn't proud to admit that it had taken me this long to do so.

I had come around to Maverick's reckless and dangerously aggravating ways. And not just in a friendly way; in the most unexpected way imaginable...

It took me approximately five minutes to get to his house and I only knew that to be true because it was his bike I saw, parked outside on the small, gravel driveway. I took a deep breath and swallowed. The only reason I'd come here was to apologise for earlier and to admit it to him. To explain everything in hopes that he forgave me. I slowly crept closer and mentally prepared myself what for I was about to do.

However as I got closer to the door, I saw two shapes; no not shapes shadows move past the closed curtains in the lounge. Someone was already here. I- I hadn't thought he'd have any visitors tonight. Then again, maybe that's just it, maybe I wasn't thinking clearly at all. Perhaps I was just being irrational? Something buzzed around me and landed on my leg. I looked down to see it was a firefly. I swatted it away sending it flying off into the night but I couldn't unsee what I saw in front of me. Heels; bright red heels placed neatly up against the wall. And there was only one person we both knew who wore those.

Oh my god...

Suddenly, the curtain twitched and moved aside slightly. I didn't stick around to see the face which would of met me. I legged it as fast as I could back to my house on base; tears streaming down my face as I did so yet I didn't stop to wipe them away for that would of cost valuable time; time I did not have to waste. Of course I should have known!!

Nothing turns out as expected. Nothing is a finer example of that than this.

Oh my lord above I am a fool...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Word Count: 1526