Graduation - two birds & a stone

Iceman's POV:

IT FELT LIKE a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. He knew. And he didn't put up any protests or deny it. He knew and I can't physically express how happy it can make someone simply just to have someone they love know. In turn, it makes you feel loved which is a wonderful feeling. And I assure you, nothing felt more wonderful than walking into Top Gun hand in hand with Maverick, ready to graduate. I felt invincible now that I have someone to share my pain and all the good things with. It sounds cheesy and cringe I know, but once you find someone who makes you this comfortable, it will no longer seem unreasonable or cheesy. Beside me, Mav squeezed my hand gently, displaying a friendly smile when I looked to him more than a little nervously.

"You ready, frosty?" He smiled still, comforting and bright which was the soul to my very world. I squeezed his hand right back.

"In all honesty no, but with you by my side I feel better prepared than I've ever been before." I replied, truthfully.

"Good, you should do. Because I'm here and I'm not leaving. You're mine and I intend to keep you until I no longer can." Maverick whispered, his lips brushing up against my ear as he told me such. It tickled a little and I stifled the insufferable urge to giggle like a child.

"My answer still stands." I said.

"Enlighten me." Maverick said, pulling away from his close proximity to me and cocking his head in curiosity. "Which was?"

"Yes." I breathed. That was the most truthful and honest word I'd spoken since coming here.

"Good. I'm glad you're doing this the easy way." He smirked; a mischievous expression dancing in his sparkling, emerald eyes. I rolled my eyes and smiled at him. We were due to gather at the ceremony in approximately ten minutes which gave the pair of us just enough time to grab a coffee and possibly a quick croissant beforehand.

The news we'd previously shared with Charlie had surprisingly gone down well. Well, I say that what I really mean is as good as telling someone their partner is now with someone else who was previously their sworn arch nemesis and is still trying to figure out their sexuality. It wasn't too bad but put it this way, she wasn't too happy. But never mind that, it didn't matter too much now anyway. What did was that we were happy for the first time in forever. I squeezed my partner's hand again as the pair of us walked into the canteen together to grab a quick coffee on the go and some food. Today was going to go well, I could feel it in my bones....

•TIME SKIP TO THE GRADUATION CEREMONY•

Maverick's POV:

WE TOOK OUR places in separate seats across the isle (since there weren't any left next to each other) when Viper and Jester took to the podium. Charlie was there too but she didn't pay much mind to me nor my new partner. Viper tapped on the microphone to test it was all working clear before clearing his throat and addressing the crowd of aviators and their family that had gathered for this prestigious moment.

"Gentlemen. Congratulations. All of you have made it through Top Gun's intense training among the top 1% of pilots who attend every year. We have a few different awards and certificates to hand out but alas as you all know, only one pair can win the trophy. Your points from hops, pop quiz results and general attitude and ethic will be taken into consideration for the prize. Good luck to you all. It's been a pleasure working with all of you." He said before stepping down from the podium and motioning to Jester who began sifting through a small pile of certificates he was holding, reading out names one by one for people to come and collect like elementary school teachers rewarding the well behaved students.