Playing with the boys

'I think I'm having a full on gay crisis!' - Nick Nelson (Heartstopper season 1)

A/N: Playing with the boys by Kenny Logins makes this chapter that much better (the same song that was playing in this scene in the actual movie). Enjoy! 🎶

SINCE SOME downtime was much needed due to classes and training exercises ramping up, we'd organised a little 'get together' if you will where every pilot at top gun was welcome to play a match of volleyball against each other to cool off and relax for a couple hours. I had primarily dealt with the arrangements (with some help from Goose obviously), setting a date, time and stuff you could bring. Of course, I hadn't actually expected many people to turn up but upon arrival, I was most definitely proven wrong.

Parking up my motorbike under the shade of a palm tree, I dismounted and wondered over to the sandy beach area we'd agreed on. Goose had made his own way here little before me so he stood waiting at the other end of the makeshift volleyball court however, upon seeing me he came bounding over like an excitable golden retriever puppy, grinning and waving. "Hey, hey Mav I thought you'd never get here! What took you so long?!" He asked, clearly all too eager to play.

"Wooah hold up buddy! I'm the organiser of this entire thing! I'm not late, everyone else is just......." I paused searching for the right word. "Early." Is what I'd settled on with a shrug and a small, mischievous smile.

"You and your time keeping skills, Mav! Honestly they really do resemble a carrot in some aspects." Goose mocked. I placed my palm to my chest and gasped, feigning shock and hurt.

"Are you calling me orange and tasteless? How dare you!" I exclaimed dramatically making Goose roll his eyes and grab my arm, dragging me over to our side of the court. I shook my head and laughed. Around me, Goose was rallying everyone up to either join the game or cheer people on from the sidelines. Unfortunately for me, just as my vision returned having previously been obscured by me pulling my shirt over my head, Kazansky and his little 'friend' or rather minion, Slider had decided to participate. I frowned. Kazansky seemed to notice this minute detail.

"What's wrong Maverick? You did say every pilot was welcome. Am I wrong?" He smirked, in an all knowing manner that made my blood boil.

"No you'd be correct I just didn't think you smart enough to read, that's all." I retorted. "By all means, please you're both welcome to play. Unless of course, you're scared?" My brows rose in amusement at the look on Kazansky's face.

"Most certainly am not! You're on Maverick!" He sneered, pulling his grey shirt off, leaving him in only his black & white tracksuit bottoms and a small, sea shell bracelet on his left wrist. Above his tracksuits bottoms, his golden tanned skin and perfect six pack abdomen were visible for all to see and I caught myself (or rather, Goose caught me) staring at him.

"Uhh, hello? Earth to Mav, earth to Mav!" He said, snapping his fingers in front of my face. I shook my head and huffed.

"Sorry, got- got distracted momentarily." My words came as a shock to me. I'd never stuttered before, so long as I can remember (and trust me, you'd be surprised at how much I do remember). So, why was now suddenly a time to start?

"Can we start now or have you quite finished ogling at Iceman?" Goose questioned. I nodded.

"Yeah, we can start. And I wasn't ogling at him just for the record, I was admiring him. They are two completely different things!" I corrected.

"Mmmh hmm, yep sure they are. I'm sure the dictionary will tell me the exact same thing." Goose muttered under his breath.

"What?" I asked, cupping a hand to my ear. "Speak up sunshine." I mocked. This was what we'd always said to each other when we couldn't hear.