The warm welcome

GETTING CALLED in to see the Admiral. What can I say other than always a pleasure. Then again, me and Goose were in here basically every second week for some 'dangerous' or 'uncharacteristic' manoeuvre. Always the same. Nothing new, not this time. So why should I be worried? Beside me, my RIO (who also happened to be my best friend that's his second job I suppose), tugged at my sleeve anxiously.

"Hey Mav, what do you reckon we did wrong this time?" He asked, worry filling his words.

"I don't know." I shrugged seemingly not bothered. Like I've said, we're in here too many times to really notice what the issue is. Suddenly, the door to Cain's office opened. Both of us reeled back a little, more so out of shock than fear. Cougar stepped out and began walking down the galley way.

"Hey! Cougar!" Goose called out. He turned round and nodded at me.

"Thank you Maverick." Was all he said before he turned on his heel and walked away. From the glum expression on his face, I could only assume that whatever had been said to him in Cain's office was coming for us as well.

"MAVERICK, GOOSE, GET IN HERE, NOW!" The admiral yelled. I glanced at Goose who's eyes were wary and full of fear before entering the office and standing at attention. We didn't even get chance to ask why we had been called in, he just started lecturing us.

"Maverick what you just did was an incredibly brave thing." He paused and I bit down the smile that was slowly forming. "But what you should of done was land your plane!!" Instantly it vanished. "You don't own that plane! The government does! Son your ego is writing checks your body can't cash! You've been busted, lost your qualifications as section leader three times; put in hack twice by me!! And on top of that, you have a history of high speed passes past 5 control towers and one admiral's daughter!!" By the end, he was fully ranting, face red with rage. Goose gave me a look of confusion before whispering, "Penny Benjamin?" I winced and nodded in embarrassment.

"That would be correct Sir." I said flatly, feeling like I had to respond in some way to what had just been said. I think it only made him angrier because he then jumped out of his chair and charged over to me. "Now what is it with you?!!" He shouted, pointing a finger accusingly at me.

"Just want to be the best fighter pilot in the navy and serve my country well, SIR!" I replied, raising my voice slightly so I could be heard over his aggressive mumbling and rambling.

"Don't screw around with me Mitchell! You're a hell of an instinctive pilot! I'd like to chuck you out but I can't!" Goose tried but failed to hide his snort of laughter. I knew he'd only paid attention to the 'screw around' part and was desperately trying not to say 'that's what she said!'. I shot him a warning glance. Always quite the comedian Goose, constantly trying to make people laugh even when you're strictly not supposed to. The admiral then rounded on him. "And you asshat are lucky to be here!" He barked.

"Thank you Sir." Goose said, biting his lip to stop his smirk from becoming visible. He glared at him before returning to his chair and lighting up a cigar. The smoke filled the small, stuffy room rather quickly. I wrinkled my nose in disgust. I'd never seen smoking to be a desirable habit and I would never understand why people did so of their own accord in public spaces.

"Like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, I'd like to throw you both out but I can't! I have another problem here! I can't believe I'm about to say this." Sweat ran down his brow. He wiped it away with the back of his hand and loosened his collar slightly at the heat of the room which he'd caused might I point out with his stupid cigar!

"Sir?" I questioned. He was mumbling and undoing more of his top buttons now. Looking around, I saw a small window near ceiling height in the room. Why it had been placed this high I didn't know but upon opening it, a gust of fresh sea air swept through the room. The admiral relaxed a bit as his face drained of the flushed red color it had previously been tinted.

"Where was I? Ahh yes! I can't believe I'm about to say this but I'm going to give you two your dream shot! I'm sending you up against the best of the best. For a few months, you'll fly with the best fighter pilots America has to offer!" He stopped, noting the expressions on our faces. "Yes that's right. I'm sending you two characters to Top Gun!" He leaned back and folded his hands over his crossed leg. Goose turned to me, barely able to hide his excitement. I grinned back at him and resisted the urge to high five him. That could wait until later when the Admiral had stopped surveying us. It was deemed improper to do such in front of an admiral but when had I ever cared about that?! I would pull off risky and dangerous manoeuvres (with high rewards) and get myself practically dragged in here every other week but I wouldn't high five in-front of an Admiral? The way my mind works is fascinating I swear!

"Might I add that you guys weren't my first choice? Cougar was number one but he turned in his wings and lost it. So now you two take his place. But be warned, if you screw up just this much." He indicated a space between his thumb and forefinger. "You'll be flying cargo planes out of Hong Kong! Is that understood?!" He added, a hint of anger and disgust still lacing his words.

"Yes SIR!" I said, saluting out of respect and gratitude. I nudged Goose and he did the same.

"That is all, you may leave." The admiral said, waving his hand in dismissal. The pair of us turned to leave and had only just set foot out of the door when he called out again.

"Oh and gentlemen? Good luck, do us proud." We both nodded and closed the door behind us. The minute it closed, I hugged Goose as tightly as I could possibly manage. He returned the hug just as joyfully but after a few moments, he tapped my shoulder.

"Mav, little too tight. Can't- breathe!" He rasped. Instantly, I let go and stumbled backwards.

"Oops sorry buddy!" I apologised, sheepishly looking away.

"That's okay. Maybe next time not so tight though, yeah?" He suggested, smiling. I rolled my eyes and grinned back at him.

"C'mon we got packing to do. You heard the Admiral, we have to be all packed and ready to hit the road in an hour, no longer than that!" I laughed. Goose nodded and wrapped his arm round my shoulder, walking and laughing with me back to our room to pack up our stuff. The carrier docked in ten minutes so we had to be quick. A new adventure patiently awaited us, competitive as it may very well be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Word Count: 1231