𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚢

My alarm goes off way too early for my liking. With a groan, I roll over onto the other side of the bed and reach for my phone. After turning off the alarm, I unlock the screen and check my messages.

The first message I see is from Raegan. I quickly answer her that I'll be down for breakfast in half an hour.

What surprised me most was the next message. After having coffee together yesterday, Davide and I said goodbye. It was nice to catch up with him. He told me that the last few years he still spent Christmas with our families as we always used to do, but I was missed from the festivities. I told him a little about our bakery, in the end we agreed that I would see if I could make it for Christmas this year. He didn't ask me for my number but judging from the message he seems to have never deleted my number, unlike me. 'È stato bello vederti. Forse ci incontreremo di nuovo questo fine settimana.' (It was good to see you. Maybe we'll run into each other again this weekend.)

I decided not to answer him right away. There were no more hard feelings, but I don't have to pretend I forgot all about what he did to me.

What confused me the most, is that there are no messages from Charles. Last night I had text and asked him what his evening plans were to see whether he would like to come over and maybe 'watch' a movie together. But it is now morning and I haven't received an answer yet. He did read the message though, maybe he was just busy with work.

But it's weird and not Charles-like at all.

Before I rack my brain any further, I get out of bed and head to the bathroom. After a quick shower and some makeup, I go down to the restaurant.

Raegan is already sitting at one of the tables in the corner, sipping her coffee.

I hug her from the side before taking a seat across from her.

She looks up from her cup. "I ordered us pancakes."

A wide grin spreads across my face. Have I ever said how much I love my best friend?

We enjoy the fresh pancakes in silence. Well, I enjoy my pancakes, she moves her food on the plate from one side to the other.

"Is Lando at the track already?" I look up at Rae curious.

All I get in response is a small nod. I'm starting to get really worried about her. I know she's had the feeling Lando is keeping something from her for a while now, but this weekend it seems to be constantly on her mind.

I grab her hand, causing her to look up from her plate. Her eyes are glassy and compassion immediately spreads through me.

I sigh, "Is he still acting weird?"

"I just don't know what's going on." A single tear escapes her eye, but she wipes it away right away.

Without saying anything, I continue to hold her hand and wait to see if she says anything else.

"I'll talk to him after Sunday and either he'll tell me what's going on or..." My eyes widened. She won't, "...if I'm honest, I haven't thought about 'or' yet. I just hope he's finally honest." She twists her face into a wry smile. Although it's more of an attempt at a smile.

"I'm sure you guys can work it out."

I hope they can. I really do.

"How are things going with you and Charles?"

What a way to change the subject.

I shrug my shoulders. "Apart from our strange exchange yesterday when Davide was there, I haven't heard from him anymore. He read my messages but ignored them."