𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚢-𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗

It's a week or so later, after Raegan's scare. She started feeling better almost instantly, I think it was a case of stress, PMS and a bug Raegan caught somehow.

I'm sharply awoken by the sound of my doorbell.

I roll over and groan.

It's probably the postman with a parcel for one of my neighbours, I'll ignore it.

It carries on ringing, but a bit more aggressively.

I groan louder, and drag myself out to the intercom by my front door.

"Oui," I grunt.

"BESTIE OPEN UP," sings Raegan down the receiver.

I feel bad for leaving her down there for so long, but then again, she shouldn't come over so early and expect me to answer the door.

Without saying a word, I press the button to unlock the door and let her into the building. I open the door and lean up against the doorframe before letting out a giant yawn.

Within seconds, Raegan bursts into the corridor with balloons and bags of stuff.

"Happy Birthday Li! Aaaah I'm so excited it is your birthday, and I'm here for it! I've got presents, and a cake, and decorations and balloons!" She says excitedly.

"It is way too early for this," I whine.

Raegan looks at her watch, "It's 9am Li, it's not early, I've been up since 5.30 blowing up balloons."

"I didn't ask you do to this," I move aside and let her in.

"No, you didn't have to, it is your birthday and I wanted to." Despite only having just woken up and being grumpy, I can't deny that I do love my best friend. She is so sweet.

"Alright alright, but can we at least sit in bed til I'm more awake."

"I'll make you a coffee and be right in," she grins and I go back and roll into bed.

A few minutes later, she comes in with an iced coffee, puts it on the bedside table and gets into bed beside me - gift bags now on her lap.

"So I have presents for you, a few people have given them to me to give to you."

She hands me the first present, a knitted mermaid tail blanket, it is so soft.

"This is from me and Lando, just because you don't like swimming in the sea, doesn't mean you can't be a mermaid."

She looks really proud of herself.

"This is so thoughtful, but you've already got me a present?" I remind her of the ticket to Vegas and Abu Dhabi that they overspent on for me.

"Yeah but you needed something to unwrap," she tells me.

I open a few more presents, Kelly and Max, Carmen and George, Alex and Lily had all bought me a small something and given it to Raegan. I'm very grateful to share these friends with Raegan, it has definitely made the last few months in Nice more bearable with more friends than just Raegan!

I pick up a book-shaped package, and look to Raegan.

"This one is from Flora, she said it's not much but... well I'll tell you the rest when you've opened it."

I open the package to find a book..

How To Not Die Alone

I look up at Raegan and she is stifling her laughter.

"I'm not dying alone... what?!" I exclaim.

Raegan can't hold it any longer and bursts out laughing, "Open the cover," she says in-between laughter.