𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢

Today was a fairly relaxed day at 'Little Britaly'. Flora was taking care of the counter and I served the few customers who were spread around the tables.

One of them being Mrs Martineau, Raegan and my favourite customer. She is a rich lady in her late 70s from Monaco, who has been coming to our bakery since the day we opened. For the first few years, she would come in every Sunday with her husband. She would eat one cannoli and Mr Martineau would always go for a sausage roll. Mrs Martineau would make fun of him for ordering it, saying how it is probably 'the worst pastry in the world' and how on earth could he enjoy something that has a sausage in it.

Sadly, Mr Martineau passed away a year ago. We had thought she might not come back, because it could be too sad for her. But we were wrong and we still see her often.

The first time she came to the bakery after his passing was on the day of the funeral. Raegan and I were about to close the bakery when she walked through the door, dressed in all black. Her eyes were red from crying, when she noticed that we were about to close she wanted to leave again.

I remember the night so clearly, we made her some tea and were about to give her some cannolis to make her feel lightly more calm and comforted but that night, for the first time ever, she asked for a sausage roll. We sat together until the early hours, reminiscing over her beloved husband.

Since that night she visits at least once a week, ordering a cannoli or a sausage roll when she misses her husband.

Over the past year we became something more like friends. We have lunch together every now and then outside of the bakery, she's even made Lando tag along a few times before.

Her choice for today was a cappuccino and a cannoli which I just placed in front of her.

"Chérie, why don't you sit down with me for a little bit." She takes my hand in hers and smiles at me.

Since all the customers are taken care of, and Flora is tidying behind the counter, I make myself comfortable next to her.

"Tell me Mrs Marti, how have you been doing?"

She rolls her eyes at me, hearing the nickname Raegan and I gave her.

"My dear, I'm as fine as a vintage Bordeaux wine, ageing gracefully and getting better with time. But I want to know about you, sweetheart. How is life going? Any news you want to share with me? Maybe about a certain Spanish man in your life?"

I can't help but laugh. "What do you know about a Spanish man?"

"Just because I'm almost 80 doesn't mean I don't read gossip magazines." Mrs Marti looks at me jokingly shocked.

"Well, the Spanish man is not on the radar anymore. He ended things with me three weeks ago." As much as I am feeling better, it still hurts to say it out loud.

Her face is shocked, but no longer jokingly shocked.

"Chérie, what happened?"

"It was just not meant to be I guess."

She takes my hand and gives me one of her sweet smiles. "You will find someone, I'm sure!"

"What is going on here? My ladies talking without me?" By the sound of the voice I turn around in surprise.

"Raegan!" I scream. She told me she was coming home soon, but I was not expecting her to show up today.

"What's up, ladies?" She smiles at us.

Mrs Marti pulls Raegan down to give her a kiss on the cheek. "Love, how was your vacation? I loved the pictures you sent me. How is Lando?"

Raegan sat down next to us and began to tell us everything about her last few weeks.