Her Calling and Her Curse

It was very dark in the box, but bats have shitty vision to begin with. I could feel warm bodies snuggling against mine, and I smiled softly at their touch.

Lucifer had retrieved Geist from a nearby hot dog stand as she was terrorizing the guy working there until he left the cart for Geist to help herself. She helped take the box down from the ceiling and she held me in her lap so I could get situated.

I had not moved as I let my children nurse, but when they had stopped, I poked my head out to see Geist and Lucifer staring at me.

"Morning, sleeping slut." Geist said with a smile. Really, a smile.

Lucifer nuzzled my head, licking my ear softly.
"How did it go?"

I flicked my ear, flying into my bedroom. I morphed into my anthro self, not needing any clothes, really.

I walked back picking up the box and dumping its contents into my lap.

"One, two, three, four, five. Alright! They're all-"
I paused, feeling a rather heavy load still in the box. I gave it a large shake and another child came out from the entrance.

"Six?" I said, my ears falling back against my head.

Lucifer counted once for himself, and laughed.

"The sixth is a wolf!"
He said, grabbing the child by the scruff of her neck.

Geist was holding back laughter on the couch, biting her bottom lip.

"Well, I guess we have no choice but to name her, Lupus Silvestre, as she is a wolf." I sighed softly, picking the furriest baby up.

The little canine yapped softly in my arms, slobbering on herself.
"Oh, fun." I said sarcastically, wiping her fur clean from saliva.
Lupus Silvestre, or Lupus for short, opened her tiny eyes, blinking them a couple of times.

Pink rimmed her iris, but her eyes focused on a beautiful brown. She licked her nose, making it shine in the dim light of the room. I observed the things wolves had that bats did not. Paw-pads, thick, heavy, fur, and no wings.

I brought her to my face where she placed a few licks to my nose.
I smiled, closing my eyes and breathing in Lupus' warm smell.

I observed the others, being able to see things my brother and cousin could not. I could tell apart each child because of the roles that they play. I picked up a spotted bat, that squealed at my cold hands.

"Hello, my tiny Goddess of Death. When you're older, I need to teach you how to fuck with Hades!" I whispered to her, stroking her wing (wong) gently.

I passed the kids down to Geist and Lucifer, so they could get a look at the noobs.

A larger bat crawled into my lap, latching onto my fur. I picked her up, ruffling her neck fluff. She squirmed, latching onto my arm.

I laughed, putting my arm near my face. She nuzzled her nose into my cheek, squeaking.
I smiled wide, snuggling her to my neck fur. She latched on, falling asleep there. She was a flying fox, a fruit bat.

I looked at all of my children, snuggling all of them closely. Drowsily, I hummed. Our bodies breathing together. I don't think they know that I saw them, but I definitely saw Geist smile.

I had something that I didn't before. A family. And that felt pretty fucking great. As I began to fall asleep I thought of Soul and that loud box she owned. I thought about the nights we'd watch the stars and galaxies. I thought of the time where she was my only family. It made me hug my kids closer to me. It made me smile. I missed Soul and everything about her, but I know she left so I could have what I have now. A family. But I don't think Soul realized that she was all the family I needed.

_______________________

Lil short chapter to get you guys situated with the babies! The video I tagged is a cover of the song that Nox hums.

Soul belongs to SafiresStories by the way. ^_^