Chapter 64

"How do we get out of here?" Olivia asked, kneeling beside her cousin

"Well, I had originally planned just to walk out the front door." Gabriel thought of the abandoned tuxedo and mask for Christian in the kitchen freezer. "But, somehow, I don't think that is going to work."

"That was your plan?" Bri asked, staring at him.

"It wasn't a bad plan at the time," Olivia defended him.

"I didn't know that you were going to show up and cause a battle royal with our parents, sweetheart." Gabriel couldn't help but smile. "What was your big plan to escape?"

"Annihilate everyone in our path." Bri shrugged. "I was planning on only having to get away from my father once."

"Well, what are we going to do now?" Claire asked, looking up.

"There is a sewer tunnel that connects to the second floor of the prison," Gabriel said. "It was guarded from the outside for the gala, but my guess is that they have been called in to help find the president."

"And if they're not." Bri pulled the gun from her boot. "It's back to my plan."

"We still aren't going to get very far before the entire city is searching for us," Olivia said.

"No, we're not." Gabriel looked at Bri. "We have to lock the building down. Trigger the nuclear protection alarm and trap everyone inside. Someone will have to stay behind."

"I'll do it," Olivia volunteered without hesitating.

"No, it should be me," Gabriel said.

"Gabe, no!" Bri grabbed his arm. "You can't be trapped in here with them. Who knows what they will do to you!"

"My mother will guarantee my safety." He took her hand in his. "I can't say the same for Olivia."

"Her father is the head of Homeland Security," Bri said. "This prison is under his jurisdiction."

"She's right, Gabe." Olivia stood up. "I'll be fine."

"No." He shook his head. "I'm not going to risk leaving her here with them."

"Goddamnit, Gabe!" Bri ripped her hand free and spun away from him. She stalked off down the corridor, and he went after her. He caught her by the arm and forced her to face him.

"Sweetheart-" he started.

"Don't 'sweetheart' me, Gabe." She pulled back with such force that she stumbled and dodged his attempt to steady her. "You have to come with us. I need you."

"Brianna," he said knowing that needing him was much harder for her to admit than loving him. "I need you, too. But you have to get out of here for your own safety. And Claire's. And Christian's."

"Come with us." She reached out to touch him but didn't.

"I can't leave Olivia here alone."

"No, you won't leave Olivia here alone."