Chapter 4

"There you are

"There you are." Jade was waiting for Gabriel in his apartment when he got home. Her dress was liquid silver that barely covered her ass. She crossed the room to him, her five-inch heels clicking on the marble. Her hair was curled into bouncy, round ringlets. She looked like a billionaire's girlfriend and was right at home in the penthouse. "Hurry up and get changed. Something black but not depressing. Ash said to bring you to Last Night."

"You do realize that he is taking me out to meet women?" He loosened his tie.

"Duh!" She laughed. "Do you think I care? Now hurry up. It's after ten already." The clubs closed at midnight due to a city-wide curfew.

Gabriel went into his bedroom and flipped on the news. Watching the screen while he removed his grey pinstripe suit, he turned it up when he saw the outline of Texas.

"The blockade runners' risks get higher and higher every day with further completion of the twelve-foot-high cement wall." The reporter stood in front of the monstrosity going up all around the state's border. "But the Texans continue to refuse President Alexander's peace agreement saying that it equates to total surrender. Citizens of the New Republic of Texas say they will never stop fighting for their freedom from the tyranny of the United Countries of America." The reporter sounded sympathetic. Gabriel thought the Texans were lucky that President Alexander currently had bigger fish to fry. The People's Federation of Asia, led by the combined forces of China and Russia, had already dominated the European Union and was halfway across the African continent. US forces combined with Canada, Mexico, and half of South America had pushed Chinese warships away from the Pacific coast but continued to patrol the waters for Russian submarines. The rest of the armed forces fought together in England where another D-day attack was surely in the works. There were no troops to risk against the heavily armed Texans or public support for the nuclear annihilation of one of their own states. Even one that claimed to be its own sovereign nation now. Only the fear of a mutated strain of smallpox spreading out of the state-built volunteer labor for the cement barrier.

Gabriel changed into soft charcoal dress pants and a black T-shirt. He tucked the ruby and diamond cross he wore on a long silver chain around his neck under his shirt. He returned to the living room to find that Jade had poured them two tequila shots from the extensive granite bar. "Just to get us started," she said handing him one and they downed them in unison.

"Bring the bottle." He opened the door and let her lead the way to the elevator. The building was only a third full, and they didn't encounter anyone on the way to the car. Inside his eyes glided over her short hem and he said, "Nice dress."

"You like?" She poured two shots into the crystal tumblers. "It's Triple M. She's out of Texas."

"I never thought I see the day where New Yorkers were wearing a designer not out of Paris or Milan."

"People want what they can't have."

"Even you?"

"Especially me."