Chapter 44

Gabriel spent the day with his mother

Gabriel spent the day with his mother. Fortunately, he didn't have to speak to her much. After a brief update on Gerard International Group's progress on military equipment development in front of Congress, it was on to a series of private meetings with various senators and representatives from around the country. Most of the congressmen and congresswomen were appointed by the people left in power after the attacks and then elected by the bewildered regular citizens. They asked semi-intelligent questions but obviously didn't really want to know anything more than, "Can we win the war against The People's Federation of Asia and put The New Republic of Texas in its place?" To which, Gabriel always answered, "Of course."

That night the Gerards were to have dinner with the Ramseys before the latter left to go back to London. Sitting in the limousine on the way to the restaurant, Patricia was checking her phone while Gabriel stared out the windows until they passed Independence Hall and he looked away. He was worn out. He had also met with the candidates for the board of directors that his mother would propose to Asher. They were worse than the congresspeople, practically drooling at a chance to get their hands on GIG and its wealth and power. He would have to make sure the contracts had a loophole to get rid of them quickly once they appointed him CEO and president of his company again. He didn't think that he could stomach an entire board meeting with any of them.

"I'm sorry that President Alexander wasn't around to meet with you today, Gabriel," Patricia said without looking up. She was in a black dress instead of her normal suit for dinner. Her almost-white blonde hair was down, but instead of making her look less severe, it almost made her look dangerous. Or more unpredictable. Which in the case of Patricia Gerard, was more dangerous. "He is in Mexico hammering out the final details of the America agreement."

"I bet those are interesting." Gabriel couldn't help himself.

"We can't fight the entire world alone." His mother looked up when the car stopped in front of her building to pick up her daughter.

"We wouldn't have to if you and your president hadn't decided to blow the whole thing up."

"He is your president, Gabriel."

"For now," he muttered.

"What did you say?" Her eyes narrowed.

"I don't have to like it."

"No, you don't, but you do have to support him. I know that you love your country and will do what is right for it. I could always count on you to do the right thing."

Unlike Asher. Gabriel kept the comment to himself. His sister was emerging from the building. Her bright pink stood out in the dreary evening light. The weather from New York had finally caught up with him.

"Where's Dan?" he asked her as he helped her into the car.

"Mom said it was just family tonight," Harper said directing her pout at her mother. They were both fair-haired and blue-eyed but managed to look entirely different. Where Patricia was tall and willowy, Harper was short and curvy. Patricia's features were lighter than her daughter's, but she didn't appear faded next to Harper, only icier. Harper's pink cheeks, sunnier hair, and darker eyes seemed almost vulgar next to her mother as if she was overflowing with life.