Chapter 38

Gabriel returned to his dark, empty apartment

Gabriel returned to his dark, empty apartment. He removed his sword and hung it on the back wall of his front hall closet. Slithering out of his cloak, he heard the crinkle of the note from Bri. He pulled the envelope free and studied it as he wandered towards the kitchen. He had avoided reading it long enough. He sighed and slit the seal open.

"Gabe,

I don't know how to thank you for your support. Your contribution has been immeasurable, and we certainly wouldn't survive without it. I'm so happy that our cause is yours. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

-B"

And that was it. Gabriel stared at the short note bordering on complete disbelief and psychotic rage. That was all Bri had to say? He had spent hours wondering what she would say to him and what he would say to her after everything they had been through. And that was it? A long tortuous year had passed since his father's death. His father's murder. Bri had been there. Gabriel had seen her face just before it happened. Through the creeping mob of black cloaks. Her look of horror had mirrored his own when the magical attack electrocuted, burned, and then froze Steven Gerard. His father's body was gone. Disintegrated after it had shattered on the pavement from the spells that took his life. All that had been left of Steven Gerard was the jade stone that Gabriel wore in his ring now.

Afterward, he couldn't find her. He had searched for her for hours. But she was gone. He found out later after his father's farce of a funeral that she had fled to Texas with Christian Leon at her brother, Nicholas's, behest. But that didn't make it any easier. And now this.

"What the fuck, Brianna?" he asked aloud as he tossed the note on the counter. He grabbed the decanter of whiskey and poured himself an ample shot. He swallowed half of it before throwing it across the room and watching it shatter into a glass waterfall against the cupboards. "What the fuck!"

He wished that she was there. That he could make her explain herself. That he could ask her if everything had meant nothing to her. If the feelings shared about the attacks had been false. If the kisses had been worthless. If the declaration of love had been a lie. Betrayal lodged in his throat. He hadn't felt like this since seeing his mother do nothing as his father was murdered. And Bri had been there. He had seen the look that he was feeling on her face. Only she knew exactly how he had felt. And now she had done it to him. What had happened?

Before Gabriel could stew any further a loud knocking interrupted his thoughts. Still fuming he stomped to the door and flung it open. It was two more DHS agents dressed in matching suits and black overcoats.

"Can I help you?" Gabriel didn't bother to hide his annoyance.

"May we come in, Mr. Gerard?"

"I assume that I don't have much of a choice."