Chapter 47

The next morning Gabriel waited until Patricia was safely off to work before coming out of the bedroom

The next morning Gabriel waited until Patricia was safely off to work before coming out of the bedroom. He snagged a cup of coffee, poured an energy drink into it, and was ready to bail. But he was surprised to find a hot pink suitcase sitting by the door. Having a terrible idea of what it meant, he made a move for the door, but his sister was too quick.

"I'm almost ready, Gabe!" she called from her room. "I'm just saying goodbye to Henry!"

He sighed and crossed his arms over his chest. Sipping his coffee, he waited for a chance to interrogate his sister. He jumped and spilled it all over his shirt when the front door banged into him.

"Why are you standing behind the door, dude?" Asher asked, pushing past him. "What the fuck is taking so long? I've been waiting for over half an hour."

"For what?" Gabriel asked, trying to wipe his shirt off but only succeeding in spreading the stain.

"To take you two back to New York!" Asher cruised into the kitchen and got himself some coffee. He held up the carafe to his brother, but Gabriel shook his head. Asher stuck his head in his little sister's room and unnecessarily yelled, "Come on, motherfuckers, come on!"

"Ugh. I have to go, Henry. Asher is being a dick." Harper shouted the last part back at her brother. "Love you! I'll call you when I get there!"

"It's about fucking time!" Asher grabbed the dainty suitcase and headed for the door. "Are you coming, Gabe? Or did you want to fly commercial?"

"Why is she coming with us?" Gabriel really wanted to know why his brother was offering him a ride but didn't want to give Asher the satisfaction of asking. "Does Mom know?"

"Of course, Mom knows." Harper bounced into the elevator. "It was her idea."

"Idea for what?" Gabriel was getting tired of being out of the loop.

"To have the Celebration of the Americas Gala at the new GIG Casino!" Harper pulled a fully stuffed binder out of her bag. "It is scheduled for All Hallows Eve, so I only have a week to get ready."

"It's on Halloween?"

"All-Hallows-Eve," his sister said slowly and loudly. "It is the day before All Saints Day which is huge in Latin and South Americas."

"Yeah, I know what it is. It's Halloween." He let her lead the way out of the elevator.

"Well, my party isn't going to be all Halloweeny, so it doesn't matter." Harper snapped her folder shut before getting in the car. "I'd appreciate it if you called it by its proper name with your staff."

"My staff?" Gabriel crawled in next to her.

"So, you're taking the job, bro?" Asher asked, looking up from his phone. He'd walked around after depositing his sister's suitcase in the trunk. Gabriel was slightly envious of his brother's ease in dealing with their sister. And their mother for that matter.