Chapter 23

Gabriel stared across the field at his brother's shadowy figure in the fog

Gabriel stared across the field at his brother's shadowy figure in the fog. Jade was helping him up, but he wasn't looking at her. Asher was looking directly at Gabriel. A slow smile transformed his mouth but didn't reach his eyes. He nodded to his brother before sheathing his sword and disappearing into the fog with Jade trailing after him.

"Gabriel, you're hurt," William said towering over his children and nephew. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"I was thinking that Asher needed to be stopped. Ah!" Gabriel made the mistake of touching his shoulder. He'd had his fair share of injuries, but this small puncture wound hurt more than any he could remember. He tried to shake it off as he looked down at the blood flowing from his body. It started to bubble and burn against his skin. "I have to get to GIG headquarters before he does."

"Gabe, you're poisoned!" Mira said in alarm as she watched his blood boiling.

"It's not that bad." He lied through gritted teeth as he tried to get up.

"Mate, that's more than a flesh wound," Tarek said helping him.

"I'm afraid they're right, Gabriel." His uncle frowned. "Your lesion is poisoned, and I don't have any poultices with me."

"He does, Dad." Mira lifted Gabriel's cloak for the satchel they had tied there. She pulled it free, slipped out the pouch of herbs, and pressed it against his wound. He grunted, but his blood didn't stop bubbling. She studied it and said, "It doesn't seem to be working. I must have mucked it up somehow."

"Let's get him back to the hotel and to your mother." William took Gabriel's arm opposite Tarek. Mira led the way back to the limousine and saw her father's taxi waiting behind it. She hesitated only a moment before waiving away the taxi and ushering them into the limousine. William's face was strained as he addressed the driver, "Hurry."