02 | The horoscope

Sreeja's parents finally came to a conclusion with her birth timings and wrote a new horoscope with the help of Astrologer.

It took three days for them to finalize the details and have the horoscope written. By the time,Girija mami came almost 4 times asking the status and the decision.

This is the first time Raman and Dhanam are handling these kind of situations. So they sought help from the elders in the family on what and how to proceed with all these.

Dhanam and Raman felt like they are in constant pressure suddenly with the alliance. After three days, waiting for a good day to start with the process, they met an astrologer to check the horoscope matching for Sreeja and the first alliance.

The astrologer was supposed to go to different location for some reason, so he took the both the horoscope and said would let them know the match score later when he returns after 2 days.

Evening when Dhanam was sauntering towards her flat, Girija mami spoke with her again asking about the decision.

Dhanam: " We are waiting to see the horoscope match. Also we have asked opinions from our elders."

Girija: "These days not many are seeing horoscope match. This is really a very good alliance for your daughter. He is my sisters son, so I can guarantee you on his behaviors. you very well know about our family as well.

So there is no need to do any verification for him. Still its your wish you can do , but I am just saying, this is really a good alliance for your daughter"

Though Dhanam replied, Girija mami was constantly pestering asking about what they have decided.

One evening, Sreeja was wearing a normal chudidhar with oil applied hair tied in braid. Sitting in the hall room, she was folding the clothes which was brought from the cloth hanger in the terrace, set for drying. That is when someone rang the doorbell. Opening the door, Sreeja saw Girija mami standing.

Seeing her Sreeja mentally thought what all questions and problems this mami is gonna bring.

Sreeja: Namaskaram Aunty.

Seeing her standing with the door open not letting the aunt inside, the aunt spoke.

Aunt: "Can I come inside?"

Sreeja: "oh ya ya sure aunty" Sreeja opened the grill gate and paved way for the aunt to enter inside.

As sreeja has scattered all the dress on the floor, she took the pile of clothes and placed it on the 2 chairs that was placed in hall room.

Aunt: "Sreeja you should hereafter dress nicely. They are seeing match for you, so anytime people might come and see you suddenly. Even if not for that, you have to dress yourself nicely even when you are at home"

Sreeja felt little ashamed and offended with what the Aunt told. Hearing Girija mami's voice, Dhanam came from the kitchen.

Dhanam:" Vaango mami, (welcome mami).. Please take a seat"

Girija looked at the house. It did not have any sofa nor the living room looked like very decent as they show in advertisements. Out of the 3 chairs, only one was available for her to sit.

That chair was an old iron chair with some rust in it. Seeing it the mami did not sit on it and insisted on standing as she would leave soon.

Raman is the sole breadwinner of the family. With his single income, he struggled hard in running the family, giving education, saving money for his kids future and also buy a new flat in chennai.

Though they live in a big apartment, out of all the flats, they are the one who stand out like odd man out. A normal middle class family living in a big apartment which comprises mostly of high class people.

Sreeja's house was not very neat, nor have any posh items, but it did have some chairs and tables to accommodate the guests.

Girija mami enquired about the status of horoscope and started throwing hints and praises about her sisters son(Harish). Turning to Sreeja , she even advised her to dress elegantly as Harish likes it that way.

Aunt:"if needed we will have a casual meet in your house with them. You will understand better. But do you have enough chairs and mats at least to accommodate the persons?"

This time Dhanam too felt little offended by this question. Still she chose to hide her reaction and replied they can accommodate the guests. When the mami was about to leave, Sreeja gave her kumkum.

Girija mami did not even spare a single scenario and hit the ball. "Good Sreeja , at least you know this. Learn all the basic greetings, do's and don'ts. If not for this alliance, you should be knowing all this"

That evening, Sreeja's family members were discussing about Girija mami and her alliance. Everyone had the same fear and thought.

Though they very well knew they are high in status and Sreeja's family is not equal to them, why she has to constantly pester us? Why can't they search for another girl who is up to their level?

If they seem to be this much demanding and look more high profile, what would be the case for marriage? Surely they must have lot of expectations, thought Sreeja.

"Paa, may be that guy has any problem? or he is more old than me? First of all did you guys check the details about that guy?"

"ya he is of age 30 working in TCS, earning around 1.5L, very tall and lot of other details like they have 2 houses and 1 plot was written" replied Raman

"Paa, now I understood. Since he is 30 , he did not get any girls, so they are trying some or the other way to push it our side and finish the alliance"

"what's with the age difference. Me and your father have 8 years of difference. So don't say anything about age"

"maa, I am not against with that, but thinking about all the scenarios that happened with that mami, the way she spoke, I felt like we might take a big leap by agreeing for that alliance. See we can't tolerate this status differences during and after marriage. It will create big tiff."

Raman: "hmm.. I agree.. will see how things goes. Let's talk everything positively. Will decide based on the horoscope match"

Though none of them said explicitly, they all literally prayed inside their heart for the alliance to not work out. They wanted this horoscope not matching as an excuse to come out of that alliance.

Lets see what happens.

*************