7) crying wolf

There was a knock on the door and Aurelia got up from the couch and answered it. "Happy birthday" Derek said smiling.

Instead of saying anything Aurelia just wrapped her arms around Derek hugging him.

"Oh, I've missed you" Derek said. "I've missed you too" Aurelia said pulling away. Derek walked in and closed the door behind him. "How is everyone" Aurelia asked.

"Same old, same old" Derek said. "But let's not worry about them because I am here to spend some time with my daughter for her birthday before I leave" Derek said and Aurelia smiled hugging him again.

Derek smiled hugging her back. Soon enough they pulled away from the hug.

"So, anything big happening" Derek asked. "No not too much just protecting Elena, Stefan's girlfriend or Damon's I can never keep up" Aurelia said. 

"Here open this before anything else happens" Derek told Aurelia giving her present.

Aurelia quickly opened her present and smiled. "It's beautiful I love it thanks dad" Aurelia said and Derek smiled at her.

Damon made his way over to them. "Thought I heard Derek" Damon said. "Damon" Derek said to him.

"Sorry to cut this little reunion short but you may want to hear this your dad is free to join" Derek told Aurelia.

Aurelia looked at Derek confused. "Come on we can always celebrate later tonight just the two of us before I drive back" Derek said and Aurelia nodded, and they followed Damon.

>>>

"So, John Gilbert gave me this to kill Elijah" Damon told Alaric, Derek, and Aurelia.

"Said you have to rip the dagger in the remains of an old white ash tree that dates back to the originals if there's any truth in that" Damon said.

"Or we could just rip his throat out" Derek said. "Unfortunately, that won't work nor will a wooden dagger he's an original this is the only way to kill him" Aurelia said.

"Well, that limits a lot of my options" Derek said. "So, you think it's a set up" Alaric asked ignoring the father, daughter duo.

"It could be guy's a weasel wouldn't put anything past him" Damon said. "Well, we once fought a Kanima so I'm up for anything" Derek said.

"What are you up to today Mr. Saltzman" Damon asked Alaric. "Well Jenna and I were supposed to go to her family's lake house but somehow we both got roped into doing this historical society thing at the Lockwood's" Alaric said.

"Where Elijah's the guest of honor" Damon said. "Tell me you're not gonna kill him at the tea party" Alaric said.

"No that would be stupid I wanna know his end game before I kill him, but I do think it's time Elijah and I officially met" Damon said.

What about you Mr. Hale any plans" Damon asked Derek. "Don't call me that you're lucky your friends with my daughter or I'd probably would have killed you right about now" Derek told him.

"As for my plans I plan to spend the day with my daughter on her birthday today before I have to leave" Derek said.

"Right happy birthday Aura" Damon said to Aurelia. "Thanks, I think" Aurelia said.

>>>

Aurelia and Derek stayed at the house just catching up on things. "So, how's Braeden" Aurelia asked.

"She's good she asks about you a lot" Derek said. "Well, she is the only girlfriend I ever liked mom would've liked her" Aurelia said. "Yeah, she would" Derek said.