Chapter 700 - Private Worries

Faced with this kind of situation, Nie Yan felt helpless. Even though it wasn't fair, this was just how things were. Sometimes you would have no choice but to submit.

Nie Yan's heart was filled with indignation, but there was nothing he could do.

"Forget it. It's fine." Father Nie helplessly laughed. Sometimes you would face roadblocks like this. Even though he had people he could call in for a few favours, since the other side dared to get in his way, that meant they had some confidence too. If a clash really broke out, who knew what the final outcome would be. In the end, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Nie Yan and his father sat down at a window side table.

Nie Yan had no idea how to comfort his father right now. After serving in the military for so long, Father Nie's temperament was extremely frank. He absolutely loathed this side of business; paying bribes and fawning over someone just to get work done. The exchange with Bureau Chief Hong just a moment ago was already the limit of his tolerance.

At the end of the day, World Bloc was simply too weak. If they were powerful enough, they would have no need to pay attention to clowns like these!

Xie Yi was chatting with a few people off in the distance. Noticing Nie Yan and Father Nie, her eyes flickered with an enigmatic light. She walked over to the two with several people in tow.

Seeing Xie Yi approaching from the corner of his eye, Nie Yan narrowed his gaze. He slowly clenched his fists as his knuckles made cracking sounds.

Xie Yi wore a bright red dress with a deep neck that revealed almost too much. Her face was caked in makeup with long lashes and deep eyeshadow, making her appear quite seductive. One had to admit, the Xie Family's bloodline really did produce a lot of beauties. Her figure was especially fiery. However, Nie Yan only felt a sense of disgust. His gaze was filled with loathing.

"I'm Glory Financial Group's Xie Yi, a member of the Xie Family," Xie Yi introduced herself to Father Nie, throwing a side glance at Nie Yan.

Father Nie stood up and greeted back, "Hello. It's nice to meet you."

Nie Yan remained seated, refusing to acknowledge her presence.

"Who's family is this brat from? He has no respect," Xie Yi remarked.

Father Nie was embarrassed. He was quite puzzled. Normally, Nie Yan would behave appropriately in these kinds of salutations. He had no idea what was going on today. However, he could tell Nie Yan didn't like Xie Yi. She was Xie Yao's aunt. If the two families became linked through marriage, they would have to meet her on at least some occasions. It'd be a pain if they couldn't walk through the same door together.

"I didn't expect a small company like World Bloc to also be invited. I wonder who organized this dinner party," Xie Yi said in a disdainful tone, each word laced with thorns.

Father Nie furrowed his brow. When he previously interacted with Xie Jun over the phone, he was fairly polite. As for this Xie Yi, she really was a snobbish and rude woman.

"Who sent out the invites? They didn't even screen every guest's background. This brat's actually wearing a hoodie and track pants. What does he think this place is?" a man in his thirties chimed in with Xie Yi.

"Might I ask what kind of background you're supposed to have to attend this dinner party?" Father Nie asked indignantly. He had a fiery temper but still maintained the attitude of a military man. So, he wasn't like those businessmen who liked to mince their words.

"Ah, it doesn't matter whether or not you have the qualifications to be here. The Xie Family is a famous dynasty with a long history while World Bloc is an upstart fledgeling company. Do you think the Xie Family will ever agree to Xie Yao marrying into your family? Even if my second brother is willing, there is no way in hell the elders of the family would ever agree to it. Know your place and act to it."