33

"Can't believe you actually jinxed it."

Charlie looked at her in this exasperated way, then jumped out of his seat almost immediately after, seeming to understand the intensity of the situation.

He grabbed Connie's wrist, pulling her towards the exit. She doesn't fight it, only because they might die if she refused.

The building was beginning to fill was smoke, and the pair started walking quicker. They were closer to the front entrance, but it was packed with people rushing out.

Connie held her breath as they pushed through people, hoping to get to the exit as soon as possible. She moved her hand to lock with Charlie's, holding on as tight as she could like he would slip away the moment she loosened her grip.

Out of breath, they ran out of the restaurant, getting a good distance away before stopping. Connie leaned over to catch her breath, planting her hands onto her knees to balance herself.

She coughed the smoke out of her lungs, lifting her head to look at all the other people rushing out. They all looked as shaken as she felt.

Connie stood straight up again, turning to face Charlie. They stared at each other for a moment before she crash into him, wrapping her arms around him in a huge embrace.

They held on for dear life.

"You know," Charlie mumbles, "it probably wasn't that fatal of a fire. Not sure if it warrants this reaction."

"Fuck off," Connie shoots back, not really mad. She pulls away, holding him at an arms length, "where to now?"

Charlie shrugs, "We could go to my house? I could make dinner," he offered.

She wrinkled her nose, "I'm not making you cook for me on a first date. That's cute, but no."

"Where else, then?"

"You choose," she said, "I can't make decisions."

He huffs, thinking for a minute before grinning. Without saying anything, he grabs her hand and pulls her into the car, starting it up and beginning to drive.

"Don't you want a refund?" Connie asks absently as they pull away, "Reservations at that place must've costed money."

Charlie shrugs, "It wasn't that bad, and I think they'll need the money after what just happened."

"Look at you, being all selfless," she replies, grinning.

He doesn't reply to that, instead opting for a different route, "We're here."

She looks up from her seat, "Mcdonalds?"

Charlie gets out of the car, running over and opening the door for her. He offers her his hand, which she gladly takes, and climbs out of the car. They dont let go of each others hands.

He holds open the door for her and they enter the building, "You go get us a seat," he says, "I'll order."

Connie nods, walking towards a two person booth with the least amount of garbage on it. To be safe, she wipes it down with a napkin first, and then she sits down.