Chapter 12: family problems

Chapter Twelve
**Michael's P.O.V.**
She didn't need me anymore. I could tell when she stood up for what she believed at the mall. Her face didn't flush, and she straightened her back and really gave it to the ass hole that was making fun of Terry. And that was when I realized that in the past week, I had made her this way. I had not only helped make her look beautiful, but I had changed her somehow. Made her less timid.

So, she didn't need me. I still needed her to tutor me, but now all that didn't matter to me. Even getting sent to that stupid military school seemed insignificant. I wanted to make sure that I held on our end of the deal. I wanted to make her happy.

"Take that!" Terry screamed as he threw a ball of paper at her.
She had been walking in a straight line with high heels on. Obviously a test of balance, since the heels Terry picked out were more like stilts. "Remind me what the point of this is, again...." She grumbled, picking the wad of paper out of her hair. Terry threw another wad of paper, aiming for her head. She gave a little cry, but still managed to not fall.
"Oh, silly little Sammy. I'm helping you learn how to walk in heels. Nothing is more embarrassing than tripping in some high heels. Trust me. Anyways, I'm throwing paper because it's fun." Terry and I laughed at her, while she pouted.

Suddenly I heard the door slam open. My eyes widened a bit, knowing that my father hadn't been home in a while I figured it must be time for his pity visit. The visit where he came to give me money and make sure I wasn't rotting in a ditch somewhere. Samantha gave me a worried look and I tried to look reassuring, but probably failed. I leaned into Terry and whispered, "My Dad is home. I think it's time that you take Sam somewhere to have fun." Terry nodded without a complaint, standing up and announcing.
"Well, I haven't had a manicure or a pedicure in ages. Hun? How about we go? you can even invite that cute little Chandler number. We'll have a blast!"

Of course, Sam wasn't fooled for one moment, but she had the decency to pretend she was. "Wow, I've never had a pedicure or a manicure. That sounds fun, We can pick up Chandler on the way if she isn't busy...."

Terry nodded furiously, and started walking down the stairs. Sam lingered for a moment and whispered,
"Be careful." I nodded but just then heard my father scream,
"Michael Xavier Bedelli, Where is your worthless ass?" I cringed and followed her down the stairs, where my father was standing at the door. Sam and Terry walked past him uncomfortably and gave me a pity look before closing the door. I realized my fists had been clenched the whole time, leaving little half moons carved into my palm. I waited for him to speak first, because whenever he's drunk he always has something interesting to say about me.

"Ha, What was the fag doing with that hooker?" He laughed, obviously getting a kick out of seeing Terry with a woman.
"Don't call him a fag, and she's not a hooker. She's my math tutor." I grumbled. He laughed. "Yeah, I can tell you're getting some real nice tutoring from her. Y'know," He slurred,
"I can't wait 'till you fail and then have to get sent away."

"And I can't wait you die from alcohol poisoning." I mused, trying to breath from my mouth.
He smelled like puke and beer.

Dad glared at me and walked right out of the door again, not bothering to say goodbye. I sighed and went to sit down on the couch.
I always wondered whenever he walked out the door if it would be the last time I would see him. But now I didn't care, it had just dawned on me that he could send me to military school. Even if I didn't fail math. He was just looking for a way to get rid of me.

And it was odd. Even though I knew that I was going to be sent away, it didn't matter. I just had to make the most of the time that I had here. And I knew just the way to do it.