Land of Waves 25: First C-Rank Mission

Another week was filled with a multitude of D-rank missions as they moved into the next month. They were currently standing together in front of their Hokage as they waited to be assigned another mission for the day. Minato was in the process of listing out missions they could choose from when Naruto groaned loudly.

"Dad," he huffed. "We've completed nearly thirty D-rank missions! Can't you give us something a little more challenging?" Hinata put her hand on his arm to calm him down. "We've completed way more than the other teams, too!"

Sasuke rolled his eyes at Naruto's outburst. "I don't agree with how whiny he sounded, but he's right. Is there anything else you can give us?" Minato looked at Hinata to see if she felt the same and when she nodded shyly, he looked to their sensei.

Kakashi shrugged. "I think they've been ready for a while now. I was just curious to see how long Naruto would last," he admitted. Naruto glared at their sensei and Hinata held him in place.

Minato laughed. "Okay, fine. Let's see how you three do on a C-rank mission." He sifted through the scrolls on his desk before finding the one he was looking for. "This mission will be an escort mission to the Land of Waves," he explained. "Your objective is to deliver a bridge builder by the name of Tazuna back home safely."

Naruto groaned again. "You mean we're basically babysitting? C'mon, dad!"

Minato leveled a look at him. "Naruto. Every mission is important even if not all are eventful. Tazuna-san is here now, so why don't you four meet him?" Minato sent another nin to lead Tazuna in.

A haggard-looking drunk man with short, gray hair entered the room, his face red from alcohol as he stood before the Hokage. Naruto's eye twitched.

"Tazuna-san, these are the ninja who will be escorting you home," Minato explained as he gestured to his old students.

Hinata stepped forward with a polite smile. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Tazuna-san. My name is Hinata Hyuuga, and these are my teammates Sasuke Uchiha and Naruto Uzumaki," she said, gesturing to them respectively.

Tazuna regarded them for a moment before sighing heavily, Hinata's nose slightly crinkling at the strong scent of alcohol hitting her face. "You mean these children are responsible for me?" His eyes narrowed when he observed Hinata. "This frilly princess doesn't even look like she's capable of hurtin' a fly."

Sasuke stepped forward. "Hinata is capable of killing someone with one strike of her hand, so watch it," he snapped, glaring harshly at him.

Hinata sighed softly. "Sasuke, it's okay."

Kakashi held his hand out. "I'm their sensei, Kakashi Hatake."

Tazuna didn't take his hand and instead took another drink from his flask. "When're we leavin'?"

Kakashi dropped his hand and turned to his students unbothered. "We'll meet up at the village gate in one hour," he said. "We'll meet you there, too, Tazuna-san."

"Good luck on the mission!" Minato called out before they disappeared in a flash. "They're getting better at that."

Outside of the building, Sasuke turned to his teammates. "This guy is a massive drunk," he said.

"That, he is. Still have to protect him though," Kakashi said.

"Of course, we're still gonna protect that alcoholic," Naruto scoffed. "He actually called Hinata a frilly princess."

"I mean, she technically is a princess in a way, don't you think?" The Jonin pointed out.

"Sure, but he was saying it as an insult." Sasuke patted Hinata on the shoulder. "You okay?"