Prologue

From the time that Hinata Hyuuga was born, it was decided that she was to be wed to the eldest Uchiha, who was currently six years old, despite the youngest Uchiha being born a few months before her. It was purely political. After years of barely hidden animosity, the heads of the two clans decided to unite their clans. They hoped to thread out the internal and external disdain, as well as experiment with what doujutsu their children could possibly gain.

"Should anything happen to Itachi before she reaches adulthood upon graduating from the ninja academy, Sasuke will take over his place," Fugaku Uchiha, Head of the Uchiha Clan, stated.

Hiashi Hyuuga nodded and replied, "Yes, that is acceptable. Uchiha-san, this is the beginning of a new era for both of our clans. The Hyuuga Clan is looking forward to the merging of our families." With that, Hiashi stamped his Clan Head seal before poking his thumb with a needle and stamping his print right next to it. He slid it across the table toward Fugaku.

"Yes. Things will be different. Our kids, they're the future, maybe they can do better than us old men," he replied as he signed it in the same manner. The two men chuckled, although there was a bit of tension from a learned dislike for one another, they were trying to make amends. Fugaku stayed for a cup of tea before departing with a hopeful outlook for his family's future.

*

"Are you really engaged?!"

Itachi had been returning home from extra training when he was stopped by Izumi Uchiha, a slightly younger girl who had come to like him romantically. Being part of the main house, he had always known that his wife was going to be chosen for him and he had never thought to fight against it for anyone. Including the girl standing before him.

"Hello, Izumi-san," he greeted politely with a smile. "Yes, I am engaged to the Hyuuga Heiress."

"But, Itachi, she's an infant!" She pointed out as though he had not seen his fiancée before.

"We will marry when she is of age," he replied, trying not to sound tired. "We are not getting married tomorrow."

"But I thought that... I thought we..."

Itachi held in his sigh. "Izumi-san, I apologize if I have misled you in any way, but I had never once thought of pursuing a relationship with you. My life belongs to this village, and if I have to marry Hinata Hyuuga in order to maintain the peace within Konoha and our clans then I will gladly do so."

Izumi's eyes filled with tears and Itachi couldn't find it in himself to apologize. She had always been very kind and sweet to him, one of his only friends, but his village always came first as well as his younger brother.

"So that's it then? Our friendship ends here and you're gonna go off to marry a Hyuuga?" She suddenly asked, voice filled with quiet anger and heartbreak.

He tilted his head. "I would still like to be friends."

"I can't be your friend. Not with feelings like this."

Now, back down to one friend, Itachi nodded. "I understand. Goodbye, Izumi-san. I wish you the best." Then he continued on his way home, brushing past her without another look.

"You're such a jerk..." He heard her whisper, but he gave no reply and carried on, his heart just a bit heavier at having lost such a friendship. In the beginning, he was very happy to have gained a friend that wanted nothing from him but genuine friendship and held no ulterior motives...until he realized she was trying to gain his affection. In the long run, he understood a friendship based on that was nothing but trouble.