TK24: Trust

Minato got to work early the next day to go over what he was going to say to Hiruzen. After his talk with Hinata, he went over the past events in his head and cursed himself for not following through with that off feeling he got during the investigation of Shisui's death. He trusted The Third Hokage and took his word for it, but he should've remembered the man also had to be a politician, just as Minato himself was required to be now. He should've pushed more.

He also wondered if not pushing Hinata to reveal her so-called source was the right choice, but ultimately there was nothing he could do about it now. If she picked up on someone watching her, then she would completely stop anything she wasn't supposed to be doing. He just had to trust that she knew what she was doing. She wasn't the type to be reckless with the lives of those she held precious to her. He had to have faith in that right now.

"Minato-kun, you're here earlier than usual. If I remember right, you went home quite late last night," Hiruzen said as he went through some papers in a folder he was holding.

"There is something I must discuss with you without the presence of anyone else," Minato said, cutting right to it. "It is...something I've had on my mind for quite a while now."

Hiruzen put the documents down. "What is it?"

"It's about Itachi," he said. "I have my doubts about him having killed Shisui, and even his reason for leaving."

Hiruzen remained quiet for a moment. "What I am about to tell you is something only Itachi, Jiraiya, and myself know. I was hoping for it to remain between the three of us for a little longer, but I know how sharp you are. It was only a matter of time before you came to me."

Minato nodded. "I got it."

After a big sigh, Hiruzen looked directly into his eyes. "Itachi Uchiha is acting as a spy for Konoha. He ran off after it was clear that he was going to be blamed for Shisui's death. I don't believe he had a hand in it either," he explained. "Though, these last five years he has had a difficult time getting us information, he has managed to keep the Akatsuki away from our village and the surrounding areas. He is an incredible asset, Minato-kun."

Minato maintained his bearings. "Why was I not informed of this the moment I took the hat?" He asked.

"The less people know, the safer it is for Itachi and his family."

"Do you know who killed Shisui and for what reason?"

After a moment of silence— of hesitation, he shook his head. "I'm afraid not. I've been doing my own investigation but there have been no leads since his body was discovered," he said easily.

Minato knew that was a lie, but somehow he felt he shouldn't mention Danzo. If he risked doing so, it could alert the man he was wanting to investigate. He wasn't sure what side Hiruzen was truly on if he covered up something as serious as the death of a very elite ninja and was currently protecting the person who was the possible cause. It was a tangled web and he needed to start unraveling it.

"I shall help in your investigation, then," he said.

"If you find the time, then please do so. Unfortunately, I could only begin my own investigation after retiring from my position."

Minato nodded stiffly. The Third Hokage was right. He barely had enough time to see his family. The only reason he was even eating was because Kushina or Naruto—and his friends—would bring him lunch. He sometimes went longer than he'd like without a proper bath. Taking on this new investigation was going to require his complete attention, and he didn't have the time for it.

"Would you mind if I take home with me any files you have available on it?"

"I'm afraid that I have no official notes. Keeping files on it risks someone else getting ahold of it. I keep a sealed scroll of all my findings that only I can open. I suggest you do the same. I will let you see it one time in order to copy my current notes," he replied.

Team HarmonyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara