Chapter Thirty-Eight

Six months later

Ava and Thomas chose to have an intimate wedding at a cottage venue approximately two hours away from the city. We spent the week leading up to the wedding there, sampling the menus and decorating the venue. Although the menu had been solidified by the happy couple a few months prior, a junior server asked Hayden and I if we'd like to give it a try as a sneak preview. Hayden told him yes, no hesitation.

So, we spent a random Wednesday evening in the middle of June eating a five-star, four-course meal in the nicest space we had ever been in.

As much as we had tried to eat tucked away in a corner, away from the wedding hoopla, Ava's wedding planner, Franz, caught us and chewed us out. Wedding planner is a bit of a strong term; he's Ava's uncle who insisted on helping. Which is great, but he's a seriously high-strung dude who was constantly in crisis-mode. A few days ago, when he found out that Thomas preferred a tie to a bowtie, Franz went on for fifteen minutes about all that goes into a vision, and why it cannot simply accommodate a last-minute arrangement.

"We're not paying this guy, are we?" Thomas mumbled to his father as Franz conversed wildly with his arms flailing about.

Now, he's disappointed in us because apparently, we missed an important meeting about the ceremony details.

"God help the poor wedding planner who does your wedding," he says. He turns on his heels and storms away.

"Well, alrighty then," I say.

Hayden's cheeks are flushed bright red. I pause. Franz was just joking. A wedding is so far into the future right now, it's comical.

Besides, we'd be a dream to work for.

"Isn't it bad luck for us to see each other before the wedding?" Hayden asks.

I'm fastening my hoop earrings in the mirror, with my back towards him, so I cannot see his facial expression. If I had to guess, I'd say that he's wearing his signature side smirk.

"That only applies to the bride and groom," I say, turning around.

He was wearing that grin, indeed, but it slowly melted off his face as his eyes took in mine. I let his gaze linger and admire the work that Ava's hair and makeup artists did.

"You look beautiful," he says in a breathy whisper.

"So do you," I tell him.

His black suit is simple and fitted, and although his tie hangs around his neck, not properly fastened, it just adds to his look.

"What time do we need to be down there?" He asks, walking towards me.

I look to the clock on the bedside table. It must be an antique. The attention to detail in this place is impressive.

"Five minutes ago," I say. "At least that's how it feels. I'm afraid of being late."

"These things never start on time," he says, shaking his head.

"Hey, if we don't hurry down, they'll start without us."

Even though Hayden and I are not the main attraction at this wedding (obviously), I'm still overcome with nerves as we walk down the aisle side-by-side. I'm trying to focus on Thomas, because he's a friendly face standing at our destination, but it's hard because Hayden keeps trying to talk to me.

Right, left, right, lef-

"I swear all these people are over 80 years old," he whispers.

"Shh," I say while trying to maintain a pleasant smile.