Chapter Fourteen

Hayden drove me to Josh's dorm and helped me load my possessions into his trunk. My stomach churned as he drove to his apartment. I was surprised at just how close it is to campus. It's a slightly longer walk than the furthest dorm but of course Hayden and Niall both drive everywhere. Niall isn't there when we arrive, and I internally breathe a sigh of relief. I don't feel emotionally stable enough to meet someone new right now.

"So, this is it," Hayden says as we step into his apartment.

Holding my breath, I walk into a dimly lit space with dark wood furniture and burgundy paint. It's simply decorated, and surprisingly clean. There are not many homey touches in the open space, just two couches that form an L-shape around the TV, a kitchen with a stainless steel fridge, a stove and a small table.

Hayden leads me down a small hallway with three doors. The washroom is impressively clean. There is no bathtub but a glass shower stall.

"This is Niall's room," Hayden says, pointing to the door on the left of the bathroom. "And this room is mine." He opens the door to reveal a monochromatic gray and black bedroom. Like the rest of the apartment, it contains the bare minimum.

"Do you like the bed?" he asks me.

I look at him, a little taken aback. "Yeah, it's fine." It's large and has two fluffy looking pillows at the head. It's also perfectly made.

"Good, because it's where you'll be sleeping."

"Wait, what? No way am I kicking you out of your own bed."

"Relax," he begins. God, I hate when he tells me to relax. "You're not kicking me out. I sleep on the couch."

"Why?"

He gives me a look. "Why did I just know you'd ask?"

I place my hands on my waist impatiently. He rolls his eyes.

"I just prefer to."

He doesn't elaborate and I don't ask him to. We carry my stuff into his room. I don't unpack anything. I'd rather not get too comfortable here.

By the time we've finished, there's about half hour until my shift at Right Round Records begins.

I decline Hayden's offer to drive me because he has class in a building in ten minutes which is located at the opposite end of the shop.

I take the long way to work, leisurely enjoying the sun setting in the sky. There's a slight breeze but I'm not cold in my light jacket. I'm glad I decided to walk. There's something gnawing at me, something I can't put my finger on. I want to trust Hayden but I don't know if I can. I don't know him well enough and the parts I don't know are dangerous. I don't think he's a bad guy. I just think he's bad for me.

I'm passing by a lecture that's just been dismissed. A whole cluster of students are walking out through the double doors and their noisy chatter disrupts my peace.

"Sienna!" I hear a female call.

Alanna is jogging towards me, a smile on her face.

She's slightly out of breath when she finally gets to me. "Ooh, I'm so glad I ran into you like this. I've wanted to talk to you now for a little while."

That's more than odd.

"Yeah, what about?"

We walk as we talk.

"It's about Hayden, actually."

"Oh, yeah?" I say, trying not to sound too interested.

"Yeah. I mean, I know this totally isn't my business, but I was just wondering if you're still seeing him. Like I mean, I get that you're not dating, but are you still, you know, seeing him?" Her pretty face is concerned.