Chapter Twenty-One

Hayden and Niall sit in the front seats of Hayden's car while Michelle and I sit in the back. I'm directly behind Hayden and I can't help but notice how fidgety he is. He keeps changing the radio stations, going from one generic pop song to another at various volumes. Michelle tries to make small talk with me, but I'm distracted by how distracted Hayden is.

Scott's building is much larger than Hayden's, but it's plain by comparison. It's very modern and has a cold feel to it. The four of us pile into the elevator and just as the doors are about to close, a young man calls for us to hold the door. Three girls and two boys enter and they nod at Hayden and Niall. Are they going to Scott's as well?

Scott, a tall man with tanned skin and dark hair opens the door when Niall knocks. His smile is wide as he greets us and I feel self-conscious at the way his eyes scan up and down my body.

"Sienna?" He addresses me.

I freeze. How does this guy know my name?

"Yeah," I say. "Scott?" He nods.

"Wonderful. The star of our show is here," he mumbles.

What?

Hayden nudges him in the ribs and by the way Scott doubles over, it was pretty forceful.

"What the fuck, man?"

"Cut the fucking crap," Hayden seethes.

Scott walks away with his hands in the air, his face a combination of a wince and a smirk. It's an ugly expression.

"Okay, where the hell have you brought us?" Michelle asks Niall. "If I wanted to hang out with douchebags I could have stayed back in Jersey. Or spent some alone time with Hayden."

"Ha ha, very funny," Hayden says, rolling his eyes.

I laugh at his expense. Hey, she has a point.

"Sorry, ladies. Scott can be an asshole. If you feel uncomfortable and want to leave, just say the word," Niall tells us.

"It's fine," I respond.

I watch Hayden as he circulates the condo. The main living area is spacious and clusters of people occupy every corner. He seems to know pretty much everyone, making small talk with every group. I follow him to the table by the window.

"This seems like a few more than a 'few people,'" I tell Hayden.

He seems surprised as well. "I know. More people must have been invited at the last minute."

In the twenty minutes that I've been there, the number of attendees must have doubled. They're all drinking, talking amongst themselves. I was with Niall and Michelle for a while but felt like the third wheel every time Niall introduced his girlfriend and friend. Hayden obviously knows these people more than I do. I don't know if I want to bother him.

So instead, I watch the door continuously open, revealing more rowdy strangers. But the last two to walk through, I recognize.

"Josh!" I say, completely in shock.

"Sienna!" His face is a mixture of shock and... fear? He clears his throat. "Sienna, you remember Holly, right?"

"Yeah, of course," I shake her hand politely despite feeling another but polite. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Hayden invited us," Josh says. "He said you had to work tonight."

Again: what?

"Yeah, uh, I did. But I was able to change my shift last minute. Excuse me," I say quickly.

I make a beeline for Hayden. He's talking to a few girls and when he sees me on the prowl, his face changes from smug to anxious.

"Sorry ladies," I say, cutting in front of the petite blonde. "Hayden, can I talk to you for a second." I don't give him a chance to respond. My nails cut into the flesh on his arm as I drag him away.