Chapter Thirty-Three

I sat in the common area of Maggie's building and texted her that I was there. I wanted her to get over—at least partially—the shock of me being there. A half hour passed before she responded to the message. The movie had just ended, and she wouldn't be longer than fifteen minutes. I told her not to tell the others. They'd find out eventually, but I didn't want it to be then.

While I was waiting, I received a single call from Hayden. Nothing more. He probably realized he said enough. I ignored it.

"What the hell happened?" Maggie said once she barreled into the common room.

Nobody else was around, but I doubted that would have made a difference to her behaviour.

"Let's go into your room. I'll tell you."

I told her everything. She didn't know what to say but wanted to help. I asked to stay the rest of the weekend and for her to pack my things from Hayden's on Saturday and bring them back to her room. My plan was to move back into my dorm on Monday.

I've been there ever since.

Today marks the eighth day since I've last seen Hayden. I'm clearly avoiding him, but even if I wasn't, I'm not sure how much time we would have spent together. The calendar has turned to December, which means exam season. Right Round Records is operating on limited hours, so we barely have shifts. It's been me and my books and my bed.

I've always found comfort in studying—it helps learning about a subject I'm so interested in—but it's especially a welcomed distraction now. I've been cooped up in my room or the dining hall, leaving only for trips to the grocery store (because my study sessions are powered by chocolate), exam reviews, or the exams themselves.

On the other side of the window, the snow is falling gently. A real lazy Saturday morning, it seems. I take my time getting ready for the afternoon's festivities. I'm giving myself a break from studying today. My next exam is Tuesday, and it's the last one and for my easiest course.

I don't want to go, but I know I must. Hell, I don't want to not go, if that makes sense. Jonah was so excited when he gave us that invitation and I've proudly displayed it on my dresser since I got to my dorm. I want to be there for him. It's just someone else wants to be there for him, too.

I slip the present I wrapped for him in superhero themed paper into my tote. I pull on a black cable knit sweater, some dark wash jeans, and applied some natural makeup that I saw in a Vogue beauty tutorial online. I don't know why I bothered to curl my hair, because my hat and scarf will certainly add some frizz to the currently sleek style.

I'm walking to the apartment. It's quite the walk, but it's not too cold and it's light out. I'll take the bus to my dorm, because the sky will inevitably be dark by late afternoon. I enjoy the walk. I've popped my ear buds in, pressed play on a recent country album, and enjoyed the fresh air.

It works out that I don't have to pass Hayden's apartment to get to Jonah's. I can pretend like I haven't walked this way a hundred times before. There's a giant blue 8 on Alesha's door, and it's surrounded by multicoloured streamers. My chest tightens at the innocence of these birthday decorations. My knuckle barely connects with the wood when the door swings open.

"Sienna! You're here, you're here!" Jonah wraps his arms around my waist and squeezes.

I squeeze back.

"Of course, I'm here! It's my good buddy's birthday. I wouldn't miss this."

Jonah is wearing shorts and a superman t-shirt and he's already sweating. He's probably been running around all morning in excitement.

"Hey Sienna, come on in," Alesha says, wearing a Hulk party hat. "Welcome to the war zone."

"The place looks great."