21: Dilemmas

[ Darshan's POV ]

"They want to hold an engagement in a month. Your dad and I tried talking them out of it and did all we could to push the dates, but they're adamant. We cannot keep pushing things any further, though; they have already compromised a lot from their side. What do we do? You tell me, and I'll act accordingly", Ma takes a pause to catch her dream, throwing me into a dilemma.

"I cannot decide anything for Sara Di, Ma. If she wants to marry him, we'll do everything in our power to make it happen", I tell her.

"She said she's okay with anything. The guest list from the groom's side is too long. I don't think we'll have enough to book a venue, and find a good, cheap catering service for all that people. They're not ready to compromise on their people, and we don't have savings", Ma reveals.

I let out a heavy sigh, wondering where all that money is going to come from. I'm taking two times the load at work and I still haven't even saved five percent of my target. My body is tired, and my mind has been drained, but despite that - I'm remain abandoned in the middle of an empty desert.

The Rock Reality Show isn't working out for me; the audition is in four days and I know for a fact that we won't make it through. Chinmay and I haven't been called for any big events, or gigs. The small-scale events we get called for pay us so little that the money lasts just one meal.

Every night one question wanders around my mind, keeping me wide awake. What am I doing with my life? I'm not a sixteen year-old to chase everything I want. I'm nearing my thirties and I'm still depending on people to find my way in life. I have a dream, but I feel that it doesn't serve a purpose. I feel that no matter how hard I try, I'll never make it there. I feel I'll grow old chasing this one dream I have, while my family continues to suffer in silence.

A thought strikes my mind, and without sparing another second to think about it - I fish my phone out of my pockets, searching for Chirag Maamu's contact. 

Me: Hi, Maamu. I hope you're good? I was wondering if you have any job offers in store?

Chirag Maamu Dubai: hi, Darshan. Unfortunately, you're a little too late, beta. All the slots for the well-paying jobs are taken.

Me: Anything would do at this point. I'll start somewhere.

Chirag Maamu Dubai: I can't promise you, but I'll try looking for something through my contacts.

It hurts to say this, but If I find a decent package, I'm packing my whole life into a suitcase and moving out of here. I honestly don't know if I'm doing the right thing, or not. For the longest time, I stayed back and held on for Chinmay because he was dreaming for the both of us but if a dream takes two people to fulfill it, it takes two. But I've been on the back seat the whole time, nodding my head to everything he comes up out of guilt. We come from two entirely different backgrounds, and all I wish for is - I hope he understands my helplessness.

A little past midnight, I knock on Kavya's bedroom door, looking around cautiously. The very next second, the door swings open and she wraps her hand around my wrist, dragging me inside.

"No one saw you, right?", she's short of her breath, as though she ran a hour long marathon and locks the door twice. "Now, what's the big deal if anyone saw me? Tell them I'm your boyfriend", I tease her.

"When I say that, they'll spare you while my mom throws me out of the house!", she makes a face. "You know what I prayed for in the temple today?", she cues. "You have everything you ever prayed for", I smirk and she looks away, utterly annoyed.

"Okay, okay, tell me", I chuckle. "That I hope we never get caught. My mom's going to kill me if she ever finds out that I've been running a full-length romantic movie right under her nose", she dramatises. "And what if---just what if we get caught?", casually, I question and she takes a long moment to ponder over it, while I smile.