15: Unhealed Wounds

[ Darshan's POV ]

"I don't think we should do this"

"The Thali is worth it. Trust me"

"But my life?"

"Your mom's not a murderer, Kavya"

"But she's going to lecture me for the rest of my life and by any chance if I don't find a good proposal when it's time, she's going to blame it on the late night I went out to eat a Thali with you"

"You're over exaggerating. She'll scold you for two days and forget about it later. But that is only if we get caught"

I turn to look at her and she looks tensed, as though I've held her at gun-point and I'd shoot her straight in her head any moment now.

"You know what? Let's go back in. I don't want to force you into anything because if you get caught, I would never forgive myself", I tell her and step back.

"But---", her voice holds me back. "I want the Thali", she looks at me, perplexed and I sigh, throwing my head back. Girls and them, being indecisive - it's a combination that never fails to exist!

"Fine! Go talk to the security. I'll wait here for your signal", she crosses her arms against her chest and I sprint down the stairs.

"But---", her voice holds me back. "Make him promise on his wife that he would never tell my mom. Could you do that?", she raises her brow.

"I could, but he doesn't have a wife", I scrunch my nose. "Really? He looks old!", Kavya takes a good look at him. "Are we really being judgemental at 3 am about a security? And Doctor Madam, if you're okay, may I?", I utter sarcastically and she smiles. "Make him swear on his mom", she screams while I walk towards the security's room. "She's dead!", I scream back and hear her giggles.

The security - Samar - looks at me in suspicion, as I approach him. "Is everything okay? Why is Kavya Madam out?", he questions right away. "Do I call the ambulance?", he picks up his phone. "No, but I need your help", I rub the back of my neck and he looks on.

"Kavya---Madam needs to eat in the Dhaba nearby. I'm taking her. You'll have to let us go now. But don't tell your Madam that we went out so late", I tell him in one go and watch his expressions change into something so bizarre. "Arrey! Na baba na!", his eyes almost jump out of its sockets and his hands reach out for the gate lock. "Arrey bhai, please yaar!", I plead while he slides the gate lock.

"When your girlfriend cheated on you, I was the one who sat with you all night to listened to you vent out. If you're alive today, it's because of me. Did you forget all that?", I pull out the past. "Being alive is not enough, I need a job to feed me and if Madam finds out that I let the dogs out---no, no, you're not dogs. It's a proverb. If she finds out, she'll fire me", his disagreement is strong.

"Two hours, maximum. Please bhai. This will be the only favour I'll need from you", I beg and he takes  moment to think. "And whenever you need someone, I'll be there to console and comfort you", I make a desperate attempt to convince him. "Two hours is too long. One hour maximum", he negotiates. "You're the best!", I keep my hand on his shoulder and smile, widely.

"Are the two of you dating-shating?", he shifts his gaze between the two of us. "No!", the answer was quicker than I thought. "Acha, so you're trying to impress her", he smiles. "No! She was hungry and I told her about this Dhaba. We're just friends", I shrug, signalling Kavya to come.

"Arrey Bhai. Who are you trying to fool? Day time is for friends and night time - lovers! Even small kids know that", he teases. "Enjoy, enjoy, my man! Pretty big jackpot", he pats my back. "Shut up, Samar!", I utter through gritted teeth, while he unlocks the gate and swings it open.