18: A Tangled Knot

[ Kavya's POV ]

"Do you think economics is a science?"

"Do you think governments should be responsible for providing economic assistance to those in need?"

"What makes it a hard place to do business nowadays I'm India?"

"What are the other options for business in India?"

Sharad Malhotra is an absolute, intolerable, fucking bore! He's a human-version of an Economics and Business Studies textbook. I've been holding that smile for the past one hour, but only I know the cluelessness behind it. I'm just so annoyed right now. I cannot stand him for an hour, how the fuck does mom expect me to spend the rest of my life with him? His entire life boils down to benefits and losses.

"What do you think, Kavya? Should we really start a business in India right now, considering the changes that's going on?", he throws the spotlight on me, forcing all the eyes to focus on me. Thankfully, my phone vibrates in my hand. God bless Aisha with the longest and healthiest life.

"Excuse me, it's urgent", I whisper apologetically and squeeze out of the boring crowd of old men Sharad Malhotra has been entertaining.

"God. You called me at the right time, Aisha", I let out a heavy sigh. "What the fuck is this whole Sharad Malhotra drama? And what is Darshan doing with your cousin? No. What the fuck is wrong with the two of you? Can I get you two on a conference call so that I could speak some sense into you two? You kissed and then what? Move on? Retards!", Aisha scolds in one long breath.

"I don't know, okay! Darshan has been acting weird. Fine, Faiza has always been clingy with him but why is he entertaining her? If he clings onto her, I'll cling onto Sharad. Simple", I shrug. "Did you talk to him after that kiss?", Aisha meets the right point and I stay silent.

"Did you, or did you not?", she interviews. "I didn't get a chance to meet him", I cook up a lie. "The last time I checked - he lived right under your goddamn roof, and not in the US!", she snaps. "I knew you were the problem", she breathes. "Okay, fine! It's so weird to look at him. It's---it's awkward", I fight. "It makes sense why he's with Faiza. He trying to get your attention", Aisha discovers. "He's too into her. If he wants my attention, why can't he come talk to me?", I mumble in annoyance. "You were supposed to talk to him. Did you?", Aisha picks at a point, silencing me.

"Fine! What do you want me to do?", I give in, staring at my freshly painted nails. "Cling onto Sharad Malhotra, girl! If he wants to play, we're playing", I could almost picture her face. "And for how long are we playing?", I question. "Until your man gives up", she answers right away. I'll probably give up long before that, but okay - we can always try.

I hang up and walk towards The Malhotras, dreadfully, when I bump into my dearest cousin - Faiza Roy on my way.

"Kavya, babe", she calls out, while her hands run down my back. So, she's with everyone she's with? Is she bi?

"I have a really bad headache and you make the world's best coffee. Could you make me an Espresso?", she look at me, pleadingly. No. Go ask Darshan to make you one. But my thoughts wander around my head. I've no idea how to say no.

"Right now?", I make an attempt to show her that I'm busy with the newest love of my boring life. "Yes, babe. Right no--", she starts gagging, making me panic. "Okay, okay. I'll be back in five. Stay around", I tell her an sprint into the kitchen.

Aish would have told me to mix rat poison in her Espresso for being an immovable obstacle between us. Faiza is lucky I'm not on a call with Aisha. Otherwise I would have put an end to her headache. Forever.