chapter thirty four

(separate ways and moving forward)

"SO ISN'T IT JUST A LOVELY DAY." AZ TRIES TO BREAK THE TENSION AS THE THREE OF THEM WALK THROUGH CAMPUS. She didn't know what was going on but was kind of panicking inside because not a word from Bree. But Patricia was acting casual. So what was really going on, so many thoughts were swirling in AZs head her clumsy self almost tripped on the stairs. The three find themselves walking along grass beyond the sidewalk. "Okay I can't do this anymore. Actually I'm kind of freaked out. Because we been walking but no theraping. That's not a word but.." Patricia gives her a smile.

"Let me guess." It's Bree who addresses the therapist. "You're here to tell us to not run away from our feelings." This causes AZ to tread lightly.

"I actually just came to check on you guys after yesterday. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Bree hiked her bag up on her shoulders.

"Me?" AZ asks as she follows the grass. "I've been just peachy." She smiles brightly at the therapist. Patricia's eyes linger as if trying to read her, not seeing anything wrong she then looks away facing forward.

AZ wipes her smile instantly after that.

The therapist looks like she has more to say, but decides not to. Instead, she wraps her bare arms more tightly in the shawl. "I realize our sessions together have been very unorthodox."

"You think?" Bree asks. AZ stays silent. She can see where this conversation is going judging by Patricia's tone.

She kind of hoped not.

"You both are suffering right now. More than I realized."

"Isn't that what grief is?" Bree looks at the sky.

AZ shakes her head. "I've been doing my own thing. I'm suffering anymore." She lies. "Got over it for a long time."

Patricia however purses her lips.