chapter seventeen

(altercation)

(altercation)

WHEN AZ STEPS BACK INTO THE FOYER THE SOUNDS OF DINNER REACHES HER AS SHE SEES BREE AND NICK ALSO MOVE TO JOIN HER

WHEN AZ STEPS BACK INTO THE FOYER THE SOUNDS OF DINNER REACHES HER AS SHE SEES BREE AND NICK ALSO MOVE TO JOIN HER. SHE HEARD the sounds of clinking cutlery. Chairs scraping the floor. Voices. To say it seemed packed was an understatement. AZ raises her eyebrows. "So you guys were able to talk about some things?" She asked, treading her words carefully, the Scion and Page before her nodded.

Bree said she would fill her in later and AZ only responded with a short smile, she could see her cousin was a little nervous and figured it had something to do with the incoming crowd. Nick steered AZ away when a waiter hurried over quickly with some food in hand making a sharp turn around the corner to the dining room. She mouths a 'thank you' and he nods.

Nick makes sure to give Bree one more look out of concern it seemed since he had a look of uncertainty echoed on his face.

"We good, B?" Bree simply nods  "We're good." It's not missed by the petite girl in front of them as she looks back and forth between them.

"B?" AZ raises her eyebrows, her lips quirk up. And she turns her head away. "Well this is interesting."

"Don't get any ideas." Bree warns but she could only sigh when AZ gives her a look of mischief.

"No promises." She begins. A wide grin. "B."

"You are so annoying." Nick chuckles at the interaction.

His mouth quirks. "I don't know why, but—" Suddenly, the front doors open and humid, light rain sprays across the tiles. Outside, three women stand deep in conversation, shaking their umbrellas on the patio before entering. They're dressed head to toe in a country club–chic: blouses, cardigans, capris, spotless white tennis shoes. Their pale, perfectly contoured faces light up when they see Nick.

AZ and Bree as usual don't miss a chance to share a look.

"As I live and breathe..." The woman on the left wears a neck scarf the deep yellow of the Line of Owain. "Is that—?"