chapter nine

( a shaken up capture)

"SELWYN!" A MAN'S VOICE SLICES THROUGH THE WOODS

"SELWYN!" A MAN'S VOICE SLICES THROUGH THE WOODS. And the cyclone dies immediately. Footsteps approach behind them on the path. The steps are low and measured, but the older man's heavy drawl holds barely contained fury. "You wouldn't be callin' aether against my son, now would ya, Kingsmage?"

AZ catches her breath as another pause ensues.

"No, my lord." Sel has no choice but to answer. My Lord.

Dr. Martin Davis—Nick's father—steps close, and his cologne falls over like a rich, heavy cape. "Well, that's good. Because if you were, I'd expect that Oath o' yours to be burnin' a hole through your throat right about now." It's part observation, part warning. Sel hears it too; in the following silence, his teeth grind together.

"Yes, my lord."

"Nicholas." Dr Davis says almost breathless.

"Dad."

"'And there be those who deem him more than man, and dream he dropt from heaven.'"

"Tennyson," Nick says, his voice tight. "Indeed." AZ shifts her feet, awkwardly not knowing what to do. She casts her eyes down. But she can still feel the tension pulling from Sel.

The strain of distance in their voices was evident. What shattered them?

The man's body weight shifts in the dirt. "Mercy! And who are these lovely ladies?" He gestures to AZ and Bree who are barely standing up. Trenched in water from the unexpected rain. Light fingers land on AZs shoulder. "May I help you up?" She hesitantly nods, and he slips his hand under her elbow, pulling gently until she stands straighter, Bree is on her other side, holding her other one.

"This is Azalea Carter, Vassal sworn to secrecy." Nick hesitates with Bree for a minute, knowing how his dad will react. "And this is Briana Matthews. My Page." AZ thought Dr. Davis would faint right then and there.

"Your Page?" Hope runs through his voice like a quiet current. "Does this mean—are you—"

"Last-minute decision." A clicking sound and the whine of Nick's retracting sword.