Chapter 21

She had been helping Hilda with something when Gandalf arrived, so she missed the entire conversation between her two oldest friends and her husband. Fleur had been almost too busy of late: training the people able bodied enough to fight, sparring with the elven soldiers, helping with the sick, creating fires to warm people when needed... all of this on top of caring for her children and giving Thranduil council whenever he called on her. There never seemed to be enough time in the day and she had started yearning for the night, the only time she was able to spend with Bard and just be still for a moment. Her husband had told her to take some time for herself this day but when Hilda asked for help, she didn't hesitate to jump into action.

The two women had spent the morning attempting to clear a few buildings for the people to stay in. Winter was fast approaching and they needed some shelter from the snow and wind. With the many, many volunteers that had offered help they managed to clear quite a bit before Fleur called for everyone to take a break, leaving the two friends sitting beside one another on some steps.

"How ya holdin up love?" Hilda asked, nudging Fleur with her knee.

"Huh?"

Hilda smiled over at her friend, not upset by her tired response. Her eyes were focused on her daughters, Tilda playing tag with some of the other children while Sigrid was to the side speaking with a few of her friends. Bain was currently getting sword lessons from one of the elven soldiers, something that took a bit of convincing as his mother HATED the thought of him in battle. The only reason she finally conceded was due to Thranduil reminding her that war didn't always remain on the battlefield: "wisdom tells us that it is better to have the knowledge to protect ourselves and not need it, rather than find ourselves in a situation where we need the knowledge and do not possess it." She could have come up with an argument but in this instance he was 100% correct. She'd asked her girls if they wanted to be taught as well but for now they were too nervous to give it a try.

"Lost in yur thoughts again?"

This time Fleur actually looked over to Hilda, relieved to see a kind smile on her face. "I'm sorry Hilda. My thoughts have been all over the place and I keep trying to think of any way to keep the inevitable from happening."

"Aye... war be a terrible reality, especially after all we've been through."

"I tried. Tried talking sense into Thorin but he would hear none of it."

"that be the stubbornness o' dwarves I've heard so much about?"

"Aye but he's taking it to extremes... then again Thranduil could put a stop to this as well, but elves have their shortcomings as well, despite what they'd have you believe."

"Too bad there not be a way t' see the future. Might give us some answers."

There had been no ulterior motive to Hilda's comment. She was speaking from a place of exhaustion and mild fear, but it gave Fleur an idea and she hoped the gods would allow her a bigger glimpse than they'd been giving her in her dreams. Looking into the future wasn't forbidden but some frowned on the idea, strongly believing that things should be left to fate. Normally she agreed but her nightmares had grown steadily worse and though she'd been so sure her family made it out the other side, it wasn't just her husband and children she cared about. Despite his cruel treatment of late, she didn't want to see any harm come to Thorin or the others. She didn't know where Legolas or Tauriel were but they'd promised to come back and she didn't want them or Thranduil to be killed due to ill tempers.

"Actually... there is."

"Ya 'ave one o' them crystal balls that shows the future?" Hilda teased, laughing to herself but going serious when she realized Fleur wasn't joking. "How?"