Chapter 12

While they waited for the incoming enemies, the small group was divided into dwarves vs. elves, and Fleur was right in the middle. The lads were more than content to play cards with Kili throwing an occasional longing glance at Tauriel, his heart still not quite caught up to his mind. Legolas kept constant lookout, going out and scouting the area while the women stayed back and planned out battle formations.

"This all feels extreme for fighting off some orc."

"Aye but Legolas said we don't know how many will come. Could be 5, could be 500... either way we need to be ready."

Tauriel nodded once, her hand going to the dagger Fleur had returned to her. "So you think Legolas should stay to the trees?"

"I do. He's the best archer and it will give him an advantage."

"What about the dwarf archer?"

"I don't know how Kili would feel about being shoved into a tree. He told me of having to do it once already on their journey and that almost ended in disaster."

"Fleur... you should still ask him. More than one archer in the trees can only double our chances at success."

"I know but I... I feel as though I've asked too much of them as it is. It's already the 17th and I was sure we'd be back by now."

"My dear friend, I have heard them speaking and all three of them are here of their own volition. You did not force their hands and they WANT to help you. Right now they're complaining that they've nothing more to do than wait... and I know you hear it too."

"Eavesdropping Tauriel?"

"Just being cautious. These were the dwarves Thranduil kept locked up and while they may be your friends, they are not too keen on us elves."

"They're here though."

"Yes they are... so go speak to them about the plans. I will find Legolas and tell him our ideas."

Fleur gave her a quick hug before the two parted ways and she went over to the dwarves. Fili was trying his hand at fishing and giving up once he heard his friend's voice. She was checking on his brother and Bofur, worried that they were angry with her over the closeness of Durin's Day.

"Nay lass. We knew there'd be a chance this would overlap."

"He's right. Besides, I'd rather be here with you than in the home of that right arse."

"Kili." His brother warned, worried that the elves would run off to Lake-town and tell the Master. "Hold your tongue."

"Fleur doesn't care."

"No but she is not the only one present."

She followed his gaze over to the elves who were speaking under the trees, scoffing at his insinuation and rolling her eyes at him. "Don't be ridiculous Fili."

"What?"

"I know you do not trust them but do you truly believe I would be friends with someone that would spy for the Master? Who do you think I vent to when he and Alfrid are being more horrid than usual? Would be incredibly foolish of me if they tattled to the man."

Fili wasn't going to take back what he said but he gave her a smile as way of an apology. Not because he thought the elves deserved one, but because he didn't want her taking offense. She'd lived more lifetimes than he could even comprehend and had learned how to choose her friends wisely.

"Forgive me Fleur. Of course I trust your judgement."

"Just not elves?"

"Aye but I never claimed to either."