Chapter 6

Before Fleur could run to her kids, Bain was running to find his dad, stopping short when he saw who was with him. The company looked between the young lad and their guide and by the tears in both their eyes, they knew this had to be one of her children, their suspicions confirmed when he spoke.

"Mum?"

"Bain." her voice sounded almost strangled, relief and pain reflected in her tone. When she saw that he was struggling to believe his own eyes, she said three words that would snap him out of his stupor. "It's really me."

He still had to tell his dad about the people watching the house but in that moment he only had eyes for his mother, running to her and nearly knocking her over with his embrace. She let out a choked laugh, holding on to him tightly, her eyes going over to Bard who was fighting back his own tears.

"We thought the worst."

She moved back so she could see him, taking his face in her hands and wiping away the tears. He had a maturity about him that wasn't there last she saw him, and it killed her to think on all she'd missed, wondering what her girls must look like now.

"I know and I am so sorry. I have much I need to tell all of you but please believe that I had every intention of being back in a week. I didn't even know I'd been gone for 6 months until your father told me."

"Da did keep saying that a wizard's week wasn't a normal person's week."

"And he was very right." She gave him another tight hug, kissing the top of his head, before finally stepping back. "Well, as much as I would like to think you magically knew I was here and came out to see me, I'm assuming you came to find your father?"

"Yes."

"What is it Bain?"

"There are people watching the house."

Bard gave his wife a knowing look and she just nodded, whispering to her son that she'd meet him at the house, before going to see her girls.

*

Back at the house, Sigrid was doing her best to cheer up her sister. Tilda had handled their mother's disappearance the roughest, convinced something terrible had happened to her, but refusing to speak it. She drew pictures often depicting their family together again and her journal had become an assortment of letters to Fleur, telling her all about her days and how much she missed her. All of this was normal for a child missing her mum and Bard tried telling Sigrid not to worry, but they all heard her crying at night... 6 months of tears staining her pillow as she wanted nothing more than for her mum to walk through the front door. Still, through it all, her siblings and father were there to try to lift her spirits. Which was why Sigrid did her best to distract her with talk of her birthday.

"So, what flavor cake would you like tomorrow?" Tilda just shrugged, still focused on her picture. "You must have some idea."

"Um... vanilla."

"Vanilla? I thought you liked chocolate best?"

"I do but vanilla is mum's favorite."

The way Sigrid's heart clenched was making it difficult to breathe. She missed her mother too, of course she did, she was a teenage girl and Fleur was who she confided in. She missed her smile and compassion. She missed reading with her at bedtime and how she was always ready with a hug if they needed it. She was the glue that kept them together and Sigrid had discovered she wasn't really cut out to be the lady of the house, but right now she would set all her feelings aside and comfort her sister.

"Yes it is... should I get some berries to put on it?"

"Strawberries?"

"I'll go to the market tomorrow." Tilda gave her an almost smile but she'd take it. "Now that we've got that sorted, what do you want as a present?"