Chapter 7

The next morning Bard and Fleur were woken up by their youngest sneaking in and shaking her mother's shoulder. It took Fleur a moment to remember where she was but Tilda's giggle when she called her the wrong name brought her back to their home.

"5 more minutes Kili." The sweet sound grounded her in a beautiful way and she was greeted with Tilda's happy face when she rolled over. "Why you're not Kili."

"Nope."

"No... I know your face. It is one of four that I kept safe in my dreams."

"Is this a dream then?" Bard whispered from behind her, his arm going around her waist and pressing a kiss to her shoulder.

"This is much, much better. Come here darling." She was very thankful both she and Bard were clothed so she could pull the covers up and allow Tilda to scooch in next to her. "Happy birthday my sweet Tilly." Her voice was barely above a whisper, the kiss she placed on her daughter's forehead earning her a content sigh.

"I love you mummy."

"I love you too darling." The three of them rested for a few more minutes before she heard the sounds of the dwarves stirring. Their yawns as loud as ever as they stumbled into the main room. "Our guests are awake."

"Sounds like it."

"I'll go start breakfast."

Tilda let out a grumpy "No" and did her best impression of a baby bat, clinging to her mum so she wouldn't leave.

"I've got it darling."

"Are you sure? I mean, I did bring them here."

"Positive. After all, the only thing Tilda wanted for her birthday was you..."

"So I'm at her every whim?"

"Afraid so." He teased, giving her a quick kiss before getting up to greet the company, Fleur listening as always. "Good morning gentlemen. I hope you had a good night."

"Good enough." Thorin grumped "Where's Fleur?"

"In bed cuddling our youngest daughter."

"Get her up. We'll need her help today."

"No."

"What?"

"No. I will not be getting her up... so if you need her help I suggest you either wait or go without her."

Thorin was sick of what he viewed as Bard getting in his way. The mountain was in reach and as far as he was concerned, nothing else could possibly be more important. "Your wife was tasked with helping us and that task is not finished until I say it is."

"Wrong! Her task ended the moment you set foot in this house." Bard was more than willing to square up with this dwarf but really didn't want to risk getting caught out by the soldiers. So taking a deep breath, he went a different route and hoped the company would follow. "Listen. Today is our daughter's birthday and the only thing Tilda wants is to spend it with her mother."

"I fail to see how this is my problem?"

"Considering Fleur was only supposed to be gone a week and ended up stuck with you for 6 months, I'd say you are the very cause of the problem." so much for diplomacy. "Do you have any idea the fear that caused this family?"

"You must have known something like this could happen when you decided to marry a Fae! Perhaps you should've chosen someone different if the things demanded of her are too much for you to comprehend."

"I married the woman I love, and Fae or mortal, she should still be allowed to make her own decisions! Not be at the demands of random strangers who can very well handle things on their own!"